Legal Counsel - ANZ (Sydney-based)
Job Type: Full time
We encourage you to strengthen your knowledge within and beyond your discipline.
We believe infrastructure creates opportunity for everyone. Whether it’s improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
Here, you will have freedom to grow in a world of opportunity.
We’re one global team – 47,000 strong – driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
AECOM works on some of the largest and most significant infrastructure projects around Australia, New Zealand and globally, including design and construct projects, alliances and public private partnerships.
As the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm and a leader in environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG), we are determined and well positioned to deliver positive, impactful and sustainable legacies for our company, our communities and our planet. With ESG principles embedded into everything we do, the goal of our Sustainable Legacies strategy is straightforward: to ensure that the work we do in partnership with our clients leaves a positive, lasting impact for communities and our planet.
An exciting opportunity has become available for an admitted lawyer (3-5 years PQE) to join our Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) Legal Team and work on a wide variety of interesting and complex legal matters affecting AECOM’s operations, prioritising matters in Sydney, Newcastle, and Canberra.
As a lawyer in the ANZ Legal Team, you will play an integral role in AECOM delivering projects and achieving its corporate vision of delivering a better world. The ANZ Legal team supports AECOM to manage the key legal risks in its business operations and the pursuit of strategic opportunities. Our core work includes:
- the review and negotiations of contracts for Clients & Projects
- the management of legal (including contractual) Claims & Disputes
- the management of legal issues in Employment & Labour
- upholding and facilitating Ethics & Compliance in the organisation
- undertaking ANZ Company Secretariat functions.
What will a day in this role look like:
- Reporting to the Regional Managing Counsel, you will be focused on advising on a wide range of transactions for a large multinational engineering consultancy firm, including drafting and negotiating project contracts and related contract documentation, managing complex disputes and handling a wide variety of general corporate matters, including in relation to probity and conflicts management, regulatory and compliance issues, intellectual property and insurance matters.
- Providing ad-hoc legal advice regarding AECOM’s project pursuits, including in relation to bid qualification and departure statements, probity and procurement, deal structuring, conflicts management and other collateral matters arising in connection with its varied business transactions.
- Engaging with internal clients such as the risk management, commercial and project teams as well as senior management and tender teams to identify and protect AECOM’s broader business interests and strategic objectives.
- You will be working with driven professionals across various end-markets who are industry leaders and passionate about being a part of a company committed to creating #SustainableLegacies.
The following qualifications and experience are highly desired, but if you don’t tick all the boxes you could still be a perfect fit for this role. Please apply, all applications will be considered.
What are we looking for from you?
- A tertiary qualification in law & admission to practice in New South Wales.
- An understanding of the various project delivery and contracting models (construct only, design and construct, ECI, alliances and incentivised target cost models) will be viewed favourably; and
- Demonstrated track record of adding value to a diverse and dynamic business and being a caring and supportive team member;
- Previous experience in a national/ international law firm and/or in-house experience in infrastructure industry in a multinational engineering firm or contractor will be viewed favourably;
- A generosity of spirit to be an active participant of our team culture, share knowledge and collaborate across ANZ Legal – just care!
AECOM acknowledges the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the lands on which we, our clients and our communities live and work around Australia. We pay our respects to their cultures and to their Elders — past, present, and emerging. We are committed to connecting to Country in our work through meaningful engagement with First Nations peoples and businesses. Find out more about our Australian Reconciliation Action Plan here: https://aecom.com/au/our-vision-for-reconciliation/.
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.