Design Manager - Substations
Job Type: Full time
At AECOM, we’re delivering a better world.
We believe infrastructure creates opportunity for everyone. Whether it’s improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
Leading the change toward a sustainable and equitable future
AECOM is a leading provider of engineering, environment and construction services, and is contributing its deep experience to help strategically plan, develop, design and construct energy infrastructure to not only meet future demands but to deliver sustainable legacies for our clients, community and our planet.
We look at our projects as part of the broader energy system and across the whole life cycle, from commissioning to decommissioning. We help our clients achieve the right balance across the spectrum of generation through renewable energy sources, solar, wind, stored energy, hydropower and fossil fuels; and alternative energy fuels including hydrogen and electrification.
We’re one global team – 47,000 strong – driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
Our Environment and Energy (E+E) business provides engineering design and technical advisory services to a diverse range of clients across the energy, power, resources, industrial and government sectors.
With significant growth plans in a growing Energy market across the Australian and New Zealand region, we are looking for an experienced Design Manager to lead exciting projects in the transmission and distribution and renewables sectors.
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will play an integral part in influencing the strategic direction of our Energy business, contributing to our continued success. This role combines client-facing responsibilities by maintaining strong relationships with our clients and developing new relationships.
With a longstanding team of passionate, experienced professionals, this is a great opportunity to be part of our well-knit, collaborative team and continue to drive the technical excellence we have become known for by our clients.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Providing technical services to our clients, overseeing project communications (internal and external) and fostering strong client relationships
- Leading multi-disciplinary projects in the substation and renewables space for New Zealand and Australian clients
- Conducting thorough reviews and approvals of substation primary designs
- Driving delivery and technical excellence and ensuring our project teams are delivering on the AECOM client promise
- Identifying and driving innovation by seeking and implementing new approaches that continuously enhance our ability to meet the needs of our clients
- Play a key role in preparing and leading proposals and participating in the strategic direction of the group, including project go/no-go decisions
- Act as a mentor for young engineers, supporting their professional development
The following qualifications and experience are highly desired, but if you don’t tick all the boxes you could still be a perfect fit for this role. Please apply, all applications will be considered.
- A Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or an equivalent combination of qualifications and experience
- A minimum of 8 years of practical experience in high voltage substation design ranging from feasibility to detailed design and should encompass various aspects such as substation layouts, HV/MV cable design, earthing and project technical documentation
- Previous Design management experience with New Zealand and Australian clients is advantageous
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.