Geology Technician - Tropicana Gold Mine
AngloGold Ashanti Australia
Job Type: Full time
Owned by AngloGold Ashanti Australia Ltd (70% and manager) and Regis Resources Ltd (30%), Tropicana produces approximately 450,000 ounces annually. The Tropicana operation comprises a significant open pit mine with a 6 year life as well as the recently developed the Boston Shaker underground. The Boston Shaker underground has a mine life of 7 years with significant exploration upside being realised with a large brownfields drilling budget to support Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve growth creating an exciting future. Coupled with this, working at Tropicana provides the opportunity to work with a gold mining major on a stable, long life and well managed operation.
We are currently seeking now seeking a Geology Technician to join our Exploration: Geology team on a Permanent basis at the Tropicana Gold Mine.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
AGAA looks for employees who share our values and purpose and in return will join a collaborative workplace that offers a supportive and inclusive culture. At AGAA we are focused on having a safe and inclusive environment for everyone – an environment where people feel able to bring their whole, authentic self to work and feel safe, respected, and valued while doing so. Our Wellbeing Framework and Diversity and Inclusion initiatives are underpinned by the AGAA values that prioritise the safety of each and every person in our workplaces.
About the Role
Accountable to the Exploration Supervisor, this role provides support to the Geology team through the allocation of tasks/activities and resources as prioritised and directed by the Exploration Supervisor or delegated Leading Hands.
This role is based at the Tropicana Gold Mine on an 8/6 FIFO roster from Perth or Kalgoorlie.
The main tasks of the role include but are not limited to:
- Undertake Regional Exploration tasks
- Loader and Backhoe site preparation and rehab activities
- Set up Regional camps under the guidance of Leading Hand Exploration
- Undertake camp audits with the Supervisor Exploration or Leading Hand Exploration
- Service generators, induct new personnel into camp and keep housekeeping to a high standard
- Execute Core yard duties to deliver required objectives and outputs
- Carry out Core orientation, Mag-sus, SG, Hardness Testing, Photography of drill core and Geotech
- Carry out core cutting and sampling of core to meet the geologist’s requirements
- Sample prep for onsite lab – Crushing core and splitting. Create Sample Dispatch Orders
- Collect & record field samples, Create SDO’s and prepare samples for transportation
- Assist other departments as directed by Leading Hand: Exploration or Supervisor: Exploration
- Preferably experience in Exploration activities and exposure to an open pit mining environment
- Familiarity with computers including basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Competent off-road vehicle operation and experience in GPS navigation
- Commitment to Safety
- Capable of developing and maintaining working relationships across a broad cross section of AngloGold Ashanti’s mining personnel, consultants, contractors and researchers
- Manual Drivers licence
- 4WD Training
- HR Licence
- High Risk Work Licence LF (Forklift)
- Loader and Backhoe Licences
- Experience in using GPS equipment
- Cert II and / or III Geosciences and Field Practices desirable
- First Aid Certificate
- Experience in using SAP software
- Unrestricted work rights in Australia
Culture and Benefits
As well as offering a highly competitive remuneration package and performance bonus scheme, we offer multiple training and career development options, coaching, and mentoring programs, 18 weeks paid parental leave and comprehensive private health insurance to cover you and your family.
We understand the importance of creating, celebrating and rewarding a work environment that is inclusive, diverse and equitable; one that is underpinned by wellbeing. When our people show up at work, we want them to do so feeling supported and well equipped, mentally and physically, so that they can bring their best and authentic self to work. Through embracing differences and providing people with avenues to share their points of view, we generate the most value - for each person, the business, and the communities in which we operate. We demonstrate this through initiatives such as our active Inclusion, Diversity and Equity committee, employee-led networks along with programs that support our employees sense of inclusion, health, and wellbeing.
To be successful in this role you will also share AngloGold Ashanti's values and its commitment to safety and the environment.
Click ‘apply now’ and we will be in contact to continue the conversation.
Recruitment Agency approaches and referrals will not be accepted for this role, all interested candidates must apply directly to be considered for any vacancy advertised by AngloGold Ashanti Australia.