Geotechnical Engineer - Sunrise Dam
AngloGold Ashanti Australia
Job Type: Full time
Join AngloGold Ashanti and make Gold a part of your Story. A story of exploring, mining, and processing one of the world’s rarest and most sought-after metals. Gold revolutionises and shapes the way in which society functions - come and be a part of our team, a team committed to building a better future.
At AngloGold Ashanti, we pride ourselves on having a collaborative workplace that is focused on providing a safe and inclusive environment for all. We want to create an environment where people feel comfortable to bring their whole, authentic self to work and feel safe, respected, and valued while doing so.
AngloGold Ashanti is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations and projects spanning across four continents. Our globally diverse, world-class portfolio is supported by focused exploration in the established and new gold producing regions of the world. We offer a working environment that allows every employee to contribute, learn and flourish.
In Australia we own and manage the Sunrise Dam Gold Mine, and the Tropicana Gold Mine (70% AGA owned 30% Regis Resources). These are two of Western Australia’s premier gold operations, with ongoing investment and exploration taking place across both open pit and underground operations at each site.
At AGA we celebrate diversity – diversity of thought and experience is important to us. We look for people that have an abundance of willingness and are up to the challenge of making a difference. With this in mind, if you feel that you may not tick all of the boxes below but believe you have something unique to contribute to our team, we strongly encourage you to apply – let’s have the conversation.
We are now seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to join our mining team at our Sunrise Dam Gold Mine. Accountable to the Senior Geotechnical Engineer.
This role is based at the Sunrise Dam Gold Mine on an 8/6 FIFO roster, we operate direct flights to our sites from Perth and Kalgoorlie.
- Being a valued part of a strong geotechnical team, with support and mentoring from the Senior Geotechnical Engineers and Geotechnical Superintendent
- Ensure compliance of Geotechnical considerations as per the Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations.
- Ensure personal compliance with company safety requirements and assist in developing and implementing improved work practices, to reduce the risk of injury and improve productivity.
- Monitoring and management of all geotechnical hazards in the underground operations and when required, supporting the satellite open pit operations.
- Conduct regular underground inspections / audits to ensure adherence to ground support standards.
- Continuous underground data collection such as – structural mapping, stress damage mapping and geotechnical domains definition.
- The validation and interpretation of geotechnical database, through ongoing data collection and evaluation to maintain the existing SDGM geotechnical models.
- Complete analysis of designs through empirical and numerical techniques to advise mine planning and production engineers.
- Ability to complete ground support design using current empirical and numerical methods.
- Design, maintain, and upgrade the site open pit geotechnical monitoring systems. Record, interrogate and report on monitoring data.
- Assist the with the upgrade the site seismic monitoring system, seismic assessment and reporting.
- Assist with the training and mentoring of junior geotechnical engineers to enhance site based geotechnical skills.
- Working within engaging and challenging rockmass conditions, innovative mining methods, working in the underground rock engineering, ground support design and slope engineering space.
People are at the heart of everything we do. We want you to collaborate with us, share your ideas and feel confident to challenge the status quo. To be considered, we would like to see you have:
- A tertiary degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Geological Engineering or equivalent.
- Proven experience in the geotechnical aspects of underground hard rock mines.
- Software skills preferably including Map 3D, Rocscience programs, Unwedge, Mine Planning Software (Vulcan/Surpac), Microsoft Office.
- An understanding of the mine planning process from short term to long term.
- Ability to collect, analyse and interpret geotechnical and monitoring data.
- Commitment to safety, quality and teamwork.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Current C class (manual) drivers license.
- The ability to obtain a National Police Clearance.
- Permanent working rights, or the ability to obtain permanent working rights, in Australia.
Culture and Benefits
Our workplace demonstrates dignity and respect for each other, we offer challenging work, highly competitive remuneration that is regularly adjusted to market conditions and career development opportunities. At AGAA we consider learning as a shared responsibility and your personal development is important to us. Your new benefits will include:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Opportunity to work for an endorsed WORK180 employer
- Access to our industry-leading Wellness Program
- Active committees driving Diversity & Inclusion
- Top Tier Private Health Insurance for you and your family
- Performance Bonus and Incentive Program
- Salary sacrifice options
Our full list of benefits and why we are recognised as an Endorsed Employer for Women by WORK180 can be seen on the WORK180 website.
Recruitment Agency approaches and referrals will not be accepted for this role, all interested candidates must apply directly to be considered for any role advertised by AngloGold Ashanti Australia.