Head of Research and Development
Job Type: Full time
We now have an exciting opportunity available for a Head of Research and Development to join our Pathfinder team in Sydney preferred (Brisbane or Melbourne considered). This is a full time role.
APA is a leading Australian energy infrastructure business. We own and/or manage and operate a diverse, $21 billion portfolio of gas, electricity, solar and wind assets. Consistent with our purpose to strengthen communities through responsible energy, we deliver approximately half of the nation’s gas usage and connect Victoria with South Australia and New South Wales with Queensland through our investments in electricity transmission assets. We are also one of the largest owners and operators of renewable power generation assets in Australia, with wind and solar projects across the country.
We employ more than 2000 people across Australia and know that they are the key to our success. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture, where all our people feel safe, valued, and trusted to do their best every day to deliver our vision to be world class in energy solutions.
Pathfinder’s role within APA is to ensure the possible medium to long term future directions of the energy sector are understood, opportunities are identified, new technology is investigated, and the business is prepared to evolve and adapt as the sector transitions to new fuels, new business models and new technologies.
Pathfinder needs to focus not only on the emerging energy technology and emerging clean fuels of today, but to be looking forward to understand what might be next and why current focus areas may need adjustment, evolution or new direction.
Reporting to the General Manager, Future Energy, this role will be responsible for ensuring the Pathfinder strategy and direction remains relevant, by assessing and prioritising emerging energy technologies, managing research and development projects resulting in new business and investment opportunities for APA.
The location for this role is flexible and hybrid; we will consider Brisbane or Melbourne, but Sydney is preferred. This is a full-time role.
- Ensure effective monitoring of technological and commercial break throughs
- Evaluation of clean fuel technologies and companies, including start-ups, for potential investment and acquisition
- Propose, design and lead research projects relating to new business and investment opportunities for APA and their customers
- Prepare technology ‘sign-post’ reports and manage technology ‘deep dives’ and benchmarking studies
- Review, assess and prioritise technologies across the future energy, renewable hydrogen, and clean fuel value chains for application in APA’s BAU activities and projects
- Develop and implement plans for IP development and commercialisation, understanding risk and return balance
- You will have Tertiary qualification in business, science, engineering, finance or related fields with a minimum 10 years professional experience in business, science or innovation
- Your analytical skills along with written and verbal presentation skills will demonstrate your ability to develop and communicate objectives in line with business strategy
- Your ability to analyse large amounts of data, strong research skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain and “sell” portfolio goals and objectives to the business and to technical leadership
- Last but not least is your business and commercial acumen, including knowledge of energy technology industry trends and how other international energy companies are capturing value from innovation investment
About the Team
Technology underpins everything we do at APA from helping connect millions of Australians to essential energy sources every day to achieving our net zero ambition - and the capability for our people to make this happen.
To help APA power ahead as the energy system transitions, the Pathfinder team, as part of Infrastructure Development is focused on assisting APA in identifying opportunities to extend APAs core business as the market decarbonises by delivering an organisational response to the growing hydrogen and clean molecules industry - enabling APA to be world class in energy solutions.
This is an exciting time for APA. We need people who are courageous, nimble, and ready to make an impact – change makers and risk takers.
Working at APA
APA is an equal opportunity employer. The safety and sustainability of our people, community and environment is our focus. We embrace diversity in our people to ensure our workforce is representative of the communities that we operate in.
APA provides you with access to targeted career development programs, competitive remuneration, employee benefits, work–life balance and wellbeing programs. APA also have an inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents throughout their parenting journey.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Australia to be considered.
Sound like your kind of career?We’d love to hear from you.
Role closes Friday 9th December 2022. Role Reference number 3229