Applications for this job have closed. Try searching for similar jobs.
Senior Principal Engineer, Encryption
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or from an office (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
To help our teams work together effectively, this role is fully remote but requires you to be located in Australia or New Zealand time zones.
The Encryption team is an important part of Atlassian's Enterprise strategy. We're looking for a Senior Principal Engineer to help us solve some of the gnarliest problems in Atlassian's data encryption space.
Working in a multi-discipline team you will help us achieve encryption of customer data everywhere it is stored in Atlassian products, designing scalable company-wide solutions.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering of the Encryption Pillar to lead the program of work and creating a roadmap to influence the direction of a range of teams.
We are a team that is passionate about technology and our product, but also cares about team health and belonging!
What you'll do:
- Design and enhance platform services that are important to the reliability and performance of all Atlassian products
- Design and enhance reliable low latency, high-scale platform components for per-tenant encryption
- Define long-term vision working with your team to turn the vision into a roadmap
- Express customer requirements as prioritised goals, turning these into architectural design and then achievable outcomes for teams
- Work across the breadth and depth of Atlassian data infrastructure to achieve BYOK encryption with our partners
- Mentor and lead other engineers
- Become known as a subject matter expert across the company concerning encryption and BYOK
- Lead operational and on-call issues when they occur
- 10+ years of experience building backend systems
- Built scalable and performant micro-services on-top of a public cloud (AWS is ideal)
- 4+ years of technical leadership on large cross team projects
- Knowledge of cloud data stores and their tradeoffs
- Planned and estimated scope for multi-quarter technical projects
- Comfortable in architecture-related interactions with customers and customer-facing teams
- Established architectural designs that impact and span multiple systems
- Practical security experience in the area of encryption, key management and BYOK
- Amazon KMS knowledge for key management or similar
- Experience with OOP, Java, Microservices, and REST APIs
- General AWS knowledge (e.g Lambda, Dynamo, RDS, S3, Elastic Search), or experience with other cloud offerings (e.g. GCP, Azure)
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.