Job Type: Full time
- Perform purposeful work of national significance
- Be part of the manufacturing of Australia's most complex frigate shipbuilding endeavor
- Enjoy flexible work practices, engaging work and an inclusive culture where we strive to make every individual feel valued
At BAE Systems we are recognised for delivering projects of global and national significance to our customers and with this we are known for developing some of the most impressive careers.
We currently have multiple opportunities for 12 month Fixed Term Draftspersons and Steel Detailers across all experience levels (from entry level through to seniors) within our Hunter Class Frigate Program based in South Australia at the Osborne Naval Shipyard.
Working in our Detailed Design team, we are recruiting across all drafting disciplines including structural fabrication, mechanical (piping/hydraulics), electrical and architectural (outfit installation). No previous shipbuilding experience is required.
What this opportunity will mean for you:
- Performing purposeful work where your efforts are recognized in an environment enabling you to thrive
- World class career opportunities, as our biggest project is YOU! Your success is our success
- Accessibility to flexible working arrangements that will provide you with balance and a lifestyle that fosters wellbeing
- Access to our competitive employee benefits program that are designed to better support you: Employee Benefits
- Being part of a workplace culture that is safe, inclusive and takes pride in their company values
Your new role:
BAE Systems Maritime Australia (formerly known as ASC Shipbuilding), has been contracted to deliver nine of the world's most advanced anti-submarine warfare frigates to the Royal Australian Navy. The Hunter Class Frigate Program will create and sustain more than 5,000 jobs across BAE Systems and the wider Australian Defence supply chain over the life of the program.
Working as part of our international Detailed Design team, you will required to deliver high quality production outputs from our integrated digital engineering toolsets (e.g. AutoCAD, FORAN, Windchill) to be used by our production workforce within our state of the art shipyard in Osborne, or by our various subcontractors, to build the Hunter Class Frigates.
Depending on your role in the team, your specific responsibilities will include:
Officer Level (Entry Level – TAFE Graduate or less than 2 year experience)
- Ensure technical competence to enable the provision of professional detail drafting services
- Work to develop techniques to manage you own time ensuring detail drafting activities are developed within required timeframes and to the required quality and cost
- Assist the detail design team in problem investigation and the development of appropriate solutions
- Ensure continuous improvement of personal technical capability to provide high quality input by maintaining knowledge and awareness of related technologies and standards through establishing internal and external networks
Intermediate Level (e.g. between 2 and 10 years of experience)
- Actively identify and meet internal and external customer needs and expectations, through consultation and reporting of progress to both functional and project management
- Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with appropriate Engineering, Drafting and Quality Management System standards
- Prepare and maintain accurate technical documents, records and reports in accordance with function and project requirements
- Actively participate in problem solving teams, contributing to the improvement of technical systems and process, in areas of specialisation
Senior Roles (e.g. over 10 years of relatable industry experience, ideally maritime)
- Lead a small team (2-3) of designers working collaboratively to deliver allocated outputs
- Ensure the team is trained and competent in using the Hunter Class Frigate Program core engineering digital tools (e.g. FORAN, Windchill, AVEVA ERM, etc.)
- Use the engineering tools above to carry out production outputs work on the Hunter Class Frigate Program
- Support the Detail Design Discipline Lead and act as the delegated Engineering Authority consistent with assigned work and level of delegation
- Manage own elements of engineering work package including, work planning and breakdown, estimating and schedules as necessary
As an ideal applicant for this opportunity, you'll have:
- Diploma of Engineering (Technical) or equivalent industry experience
- Experience in 2D & 3D CAD using AutoCAD or similar packages (SOLIDWORKS, Inventor, PTC Creo, Siemens NX, REVIT, etc.)
- Experience working as a draftsperson or steel detailer within the maritime, oil & gas, infrastructure or building services industries
- Experience in producing shop detail drawings relevant to your discipline, e.g. steel fabrication & erection; outfit installation or general arrangements; cable containment installation & arrangements; pipe manufacturing & installation
- Experience in a detail design quality review processes (e.g. conducting quality checks and providing feedback on others outputs)
- Well-developed communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
We believe in hiring for potential so if this role resonates with you, but you don't meet all the required criteria, we would still love to hear from you!
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
Applications should be addressed to: Akshay Vengurlekar, Talent Acquisition Specialist- Engineering and made online here. Confidential enquiries are welcome via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be joining a culture that truly cares about your wellbeing. Diversity and inclusion is at the top of our agenda. We are striving to create an inclusive culture where the voices and talents of every individual are valued and everyone has a sense of belonging.
We welcome applications from all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, pregnancy, age, or other lived experience.
We are also proud to be recognised as an employer of choice for women by WORK180
If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives via this link.
To learn about other employment opportunities at BAE Systems, please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.