Environment Specialist | Port Operations WA | FIFO 5/2 4/3 roster
Location: Western Australia
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
An exciting opportunity exists to join the Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) team in the role of Environment Specialist, supporting our Port Operation. You will be responsible for oversight and governance of a range of environmental management outcomes, coaching on effective environmental risk management, and provision of technical expertise to grow environmental capability in operational leaders.
You will be required to:
- Understand technical elements of key site environmental risks to articulate to risk owners, and inform site risk management processes;
- Identify opportunities to simplify approvals to enable operations, and facilitate the Management of Change (MoC) processes for new/ amended approvals.
- Utilise work management to administrate environmental approval obligations and meet reporting timeframes for event and compliance reporting;
- Execute meaningful time-in-field, verifying the effectiveness of Environmental management controls;
- Participate as a subject matter expert in Environment event investigations, and coach on the investigation process;
- Supervise contractors involved in the safe and productive execution of HSE managed work, and;
- Coordinate Port Project Environmental & Aboriginal Heritage Reviews (PEAHR).
This is a permanent position, fly-in-fly-out (FIFO) from Perth to Port Hedland. It is on a 5:2 / 4:3 roster. A conversation on flexible work options is encouraged and will be considered.
To be successful in the Environment Specialist role you will be a confident, self-motivated professional with strong communication and engagement skills. You will have a solid record of achieving results through influence, coaching and mentoring. Knowledge of Western Australian environmental legislative frameworks and approval mechanisms is advantageous.
You will also have:
- A proven passion for Environment and a culture of care;
- Tertiary Qualifications in Environmental Science, Environmental Management (or similar), or equivalent field experience.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Confidence to work autonomously.
- Minimum of C class Western Australia (or equivalent) Drivers’ Licence
You will be able to work closely and share workload with your team but also be comfortable working autonomously when required and make informed decisions. You will be motivated by a fast-paced environment and the opportunity to problem solve and drive positive change.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.