Senior Geotechnical Engineer | Mt Keith | FIFO 5/3/4/2 Roster
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2,500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana.
A member of the BHP Group, Nickel West is undergoing an exciting business transformation to become a globally significant supplier of battery materials to the electric vehicle market. Nickel West will soon become the world’s largest producer of Nickel Sulphate, a key ingredient in lithium-ion batteries. As the world’s largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
To learn more about BHP and Nickel West click here
About the Role
This role offers an excellent opportunity to provide front end technical input into a large, long life nickel operation. This role is based within the Geotechnical team at Nickel West Mt Keith Mine. The successful candidate will assist with ground control management of multiple active open pit mines.
- Reporting to the Geotechnical Superintendent, your key accountabilities will include:
- Providing geotechnical advice to mining operations to ensure geotechnical risks are effectively identified, managed and controlled.
- Ensuring compliance of mining operations with the Ground Control Management Plan
- Providing geotechnical input into the short-term production planning and scheduling process.
- Assisting with routine geotechnical tasks, including pit inspections, wall signoffs, reviewing geotechnical monitoring data, face mapping and blast reviews.
- Assisting with project delivery and management of contractors
- Training and mentoring Geotechnical Engineers and Graduate Engineers
As the successful candidate, you will ideally possess the following:
- A degree (bachelor or higher) in Mining, Civil or Geological Engineering.
- 5+ years of geotechnical experience in open pit hard rock mines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in mining, monitoring and geotechnical software (preferably Deswik, IBIS guardian and RocScience suite).
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work as part of a team.
- A commitment to personnel safety and the safety of others
- Current C class Driver’s Licence.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a diverse workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
We reserve the right to commence recruitment proceedings immediately
Reference – 68850