Senior Process Safety Engineer | Nickel West | Kwinana | Part Time & Flexi Work Arrangements
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana to capitalise on growing demand in the battery materials sector. As the world’s largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
Nickel West has an exciting future ahead. We invite you to join us at Nickel West as we seek to energize our future.
About the Role
Reporting to the Superintendent – Process Safety, this role is part of BHP Nickel West Kwinana’s Engineering Team. This role can be offered as a part time opportunity with flexible work arrangements for the right candidate.
You will support a team that provides governance and solutions to enable improved business outcomes at the Kwinana Nickel Refinery as well as:
- Ensuring process safety risks are identified, assessed and managed according to BHP systems and procedures. Provide assurance of Process Safety Management at NKW through auditing of the Safety Management System
- Facilitation of risk assessments (e.g. HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA, BowTie) for both capital projects and operational activities
- Providing technical safety advise and support to project teams on safety in design
- Identify the requirement for and coordinate the implementation of functional safety assessments
- Effective and timely engagement and collaboration with internal stakeholders for close out of process safety actions
- Review and endorsement of Management of Change Notifications
- Provide process safety assistance for incident investigations
To be successful in this role we are looking for candidates with the following skills:
- Hold a Bachelor of Chemical/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering
- Have operations or engineering experience within the Chemical or Oil & Gas industry
- Demonstrable knowledge of the fundamentals of safety & risk engineering
- Solid analytical skills as well as ability to apply judgement based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations
- Knowledge and experience of safety case and major hazards facility framework and the associated risk management processes
- A “solutions mindset” and able to manage varying tasks with often changing and competing priorities
A positive 'can do' attitude to work and the ability to work autonomously or in teams
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.