Senior Engineer Mine Planning and Technical (Open Pit) | Nickel West | Perth | 5:2
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana to capitalise on growing demand in the battery materials sector. As the world's largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
Nickel West has an exciting future ahead. We invite you to join us at Nickel West as we seek to energize our future.
About the Role
Reporting to the Superintendent Open Cut Planning, the purpose of this role is to unlock value through the development of value accretive resource engineering options, strategic asset planning, provision of mining and metallurgical technical direction and applying industry leading solutions to strategic problems.
As a Senior Planning Engineer you will provide significant input to the direction of Mt Keith, including mine planning and design, strategic optimisation and more. It is an emergent time at Mt Keith and this position plays an important role.
This position is based in our Perth office on a Monday to Friday roster with site visits as required. As noted, we are open to discussing flexible working opportunities!
In this role you will:
- Develop executable, strategic mine designs considering safety, technology, infrastructure, sequencing and system constraints;
- Identify and plan for competitive advantage within Mt Keith value chain from resource to smelter;
- Provide mining engineering input, contributing to high quality delivery of Major Growth Projects;
- Actively engage and influence operational and study teams to ensure alignment of mine planning from long term through medium and short time frames;
- Work collaboratively within planning and technical, and broadly across the operation, to apply specialist mining knowledge to solving complex problems;
- Coordinate the resourcing requirement to deliver mine plans for Studies and Life of Asset purposes;
Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement;
Ideally you will have a Tertiary education in Mining Engineering or equivalent with strategic mindset and possess strong communication, organisation, and stakeholder management skills.
Due to the nature of this role, you will need to have ability to influence and mentor others in HSEC principles and behaviours and have commercial acumen and demonstrated ability to understand business drivers. In addition, the following skills and experience will be highly regarded:
- Significant mining experience and detailed understanding of the open cut mining methods and practices;
- Mine planning experience, including report and presentation skills;
- Proficiency in mine planning software, Deswick software will be highly advantageous;
- Strong pit design technical skills and experience will be high advantageous;
- Strong commercial and financial acumen.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.