Lead Geotechnical Engineer | Nickel West | Cliffs | FIFO from Perth 5:2:4:3
Location: Western Australia
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana.
A member of the BHP Group, Nickel West is undergoing an exciting business transformation to become a globally significant supplier of battery materials to the electric vehicle market. Nickel West will soon become the world's largest producer of Nickel Sulphate, a key ingredient in lithium-ion batteries. As the world's largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
Nickel West has an exciting future ahead. We invite you to join us at Nickel West as we seek to energize our future.
About the Role
This role is based within the Nickel West Geotechnical team at Cliff’s underground mine. This role offers an excellent opportunity to provide both technical input and people leadership capability.
Reporting to the Geotechnical Manager, your key accountabilities will include:
- Support the overarching geotechnical strategy by contributing to the Geotechnical Lead team and forging strong working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Lead the geotechnical team to manage the geotechnical aspects of day-to-day operations including undertaking geotechnical assessments and stability analysis of the underground excavations, rock mass characterisation, rock mass response to mining and ground support performance.
- Apply a continuous improvement mindset to optimise the geotechnical practices utilised in various underground mining areas.
- Training and mentoring Geotechnical Engineers and Graduate Engineers.
- Provide geotechnical advice to mining operations to ensure geotechnical risks are effectively identified, managed and controlled in line with the Ground Control Management Plan.
- Provide geotechnical input into the production planning and scheduling process.
- Assisting with project delivery and management of contractors.
To learn more about BHP and Nickel West click here
We have a strong focus on finding individuals with the right values, leadership capability, and communication skills. Your interpersonal skills will foster strong working relationships across our Geoscience, Engineering, Studies and Operational teams. In addition to demonstrated ability to consolidate and analyse information, you will have the skills and knowledge to provide critical thinking and a solution-focused attitude. The ability to communicate effectively across disciplines and organisational levels to create buy-in and influence outcomes will be highly regarded.
As the successful candidate, you will ideally possess the following:
- A degree (bachelor or higher) in Geotechnical, Mining, or Civil Engineering.
- Solid geotechnical experience in underground hard rock mines. Open stoping experience highly regarded.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Proficient in mining and geotechnical software (preferably Deswik, RocScience, IMS).
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to significantly contribute to a high performing team.
As part of the recruitment process for this position you may be required to undergo a pre-employment medical and participate in a background screen including a criminal history check, identity check and qualifications check.
Nickel West operations currently has 3 operating mines, Mt Keith, Cliffs and Leinster as well as a pipeline of new operations. Current operations are located approximately 375km north of Kalgoorlie in Western Australia. Cliffs underground Nickel Mine is an integral part of Nickel West Leinster comprising of a nickel concentrator and dryer, located 12 kilometres south of Nickel West Mt Keith. Employees at Cliffs reside at the Mt Keith village, There’s plenty to keep you entertained in the Mt Keith Village. Take the heat off the day and head to the pool – or join in any number of social activities.
As part of our commitment to health and safety Nickel West Cliffs is a smoke free operation and has a clean shaven policy.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.