Principal Geologist | Nickel West | Perth
Location: Western Australia
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana.
A member of the BHP Group, Nickel West is undergoing an exciting business transformation to become a globally significant supplier of battery materials to the electric vehicle market. Nickel West will soon become the world’s largest producer of Nickel Sulphate, a key ingredient in lithium-ion batteries. As the world’s largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
Nickel West has an exciting future ahead. We invite you to join us at Nickel West as we seek to energize our future.
About the Role
The Nickel West Geoscience team are seeking a Principal Geologist to join a safety focussed, technically motivated and results-driven team, working in a positive and inclusive environment. Our team strives to provide high quality geological information to meet our stakeholder’s needs.
Working with a small team, core responsibilities include;
- Integration of geological, geophysical, structural and geochemical data into 3D regional geological model to support target generation and ranking.
- Planning and prioritization of work programs to increase geological understanding of exploration targets and the broader region.
- Documentation and communication of geoscientific information to various stakeholders.
- Mentoring and upskilling of Geoscience team to maximise exploration success.
- Review of emerging technology and technical advances applicable to our exploration of the Agnew-Wiluna Belt (AWB).
- Competitive salary on offer plus 12% superannuation and a range of company benefits
- Family friendly roster in Perth Monday to Friday
- Nickel West is positioned well to energise our future
With a tertiary degree in geoscience, the successful applicant will have:
- An ability to compile and interpret geological data at a range of scales and in a near-mine to brownfield exploration setting,
- Strong data analysis and problem solving skills,
- Good verbal and written communication skills,
- Demonstrated exploration experience and an understanding of the mineral systems framework (nickel exploration experience will be highly regarded)
- Experience using 3D geological modelling and GIS software including GoCAD, Leapfrog and ArcGIS,
- Evidence of technical aptitude such as published articles or conference presentations will be highly regarded
- Key involvement in an exploration discovery will also be highly regarded
Nickel West – Perth operates from City Square located in the heart of the Perth CBD. The building itself reflects the latest thinking in corporate workplace design and facilities with the centerpiece of the development being a 45 storey tower which is home to the other BHP group of companies in Western Australia.
Remuneration and Benefits
Join us and be rewarded with interesting, challenging work in a supportive team culture. Develop skills for life whilst enjoying access to benefits including; incentive bonus, award winning share scheme, education assistance and generous superannuation scheme. As part of our commitment to inclusion and diversity, we offer a range of family friendly work practices, including flexible work arrangements, and a substantial parental leave policy, includes retirement savings / superannuation contributions during parental leave.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.