Legal Counsel - Perth
Job Type: Not Specified
About the Role
The Legal function is responsible for providing strategic legal advice to enable BHP to achieve its commercial objectives and manage legal risk in compliance with applicable laws and consistent with the BHP Charter.
We have an excellent opportunity for a lawyer to join BHP’s Legal team as a Legal Counsel. Reporting to the Head of Legal WAIO/NiW, this is a unique opportunity to utilise your skills and experience with a leading global resources company. This role will provide legal advice and support BHP’s Western Australian Iron ore and Nickel assets achieve their goals while addressing commercial and legal risks. The role is based in Perth, with occasional travel required to site.
Your key accountabilities and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Conform with the BHP Charter, Code of Conduct, Our Requirements and relevant statutory obligations.
- Have an overriding commitment to health, safety and environment responsibility and to sustainable development.
- Advising on commercial agreements, royalty, joint venture and State Agreement issues.
- Acting as a key adviser and providing independent legal advice to support effective and strategic decision making within the Iron Ore and Nickel assets located in Western Australia
- Legal advice and support on day to day tenure, operational issues and applicable regulatory regimes.
- Working collaboratively with the Legal and other functions to ensure BHP is appropriately managing legal and other external risks.
A true strategic adviser with experience in the resources and energy sector, you will bring to this role a range of capabilities including strong stakeholder engagement skills and the ability to work well in a team. You will have strong commercial acumen and be an excellent communicator (both oral and written) with the ability to influence stakeholders at all levels, and be able to resolve complex problems.
To be considered for this role a Law degree and the ability to practice in Australia is essential. Post admission experience of at least 4-5 years is desirable.