Specialist Electrical Engineer | Nickel West | Perth Based | 5:2
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana.
A member of the BHP Group, Nickel West is undergoing an exciting business transformation to become a globally significant supplier of battery materials to the electric vehicle market. Nickel West will soon become the world’s largest producer of Nickel Sulphate, a key ingredient in lithium-ion batteries. As the world’s largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
Nickel West has an exciting future ahead. We invite you to join us at Nickel West as we seek to energize our future.
About the Role
Reporting to the Superintendent Technical Stewardship, you will provide directional guidance to the business through the execution of electrical engineering activities while accounting for uncertainty and risk.
The role is based in the Perth CBD with some site travel.
In this role you will:
- Demonstrate strong safety values by supporting the Field Leadership program to lead continuous safety improvement and performance
- Undertake governance and technical stewardship duties
- Provide technical assistance in reviewing Basis of Design, Detailed Design and Engineering Drawings to site operations and engineering projects
- Strong knowledge of primary plant equipment and secondary system as applicable to power reticulation at a surface and underground mine site
- Escalate any discrepancies in engineering standards, specifications and Standard drawings
- Strong understanding of AS/NZS Standards, Legislative and Regulatory requirements i.e. Electricity Acts and Regulations
- Good understanding of Powerfactory DigSilent modelling of a power system network with emphasis on material risk such as Arc Flash and Earth Faults
- Knowledge of power system protection, protection settings and relay coordination
- Focus on delivering value, through application of your strong decision-making and collaboration skills
- Work independently and able to handle all Technical Queries of the engineering consultants
- An overriding commitment to health, safety, environment and the community
- Degree qualified in Electrical Engineering with CP Eng or as a member of Engineers Australia
- Experience in engineering design, specifications and technical report writing
- Technical knowledge on mineral processing equipment such as Power and Distribution Transformers, HV and LV switchboards and HV and LV rotating equipment such as ball mill, sag mill crushers, screens, conveyors, pumps and process piping (preferable)
- Demonstrate the ability to develop strong relationships and work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience managing engineering consultants to deliver positive results in safety, quality assurance/ control, culture and productivity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills with a collaborative approach to finding practical solutions
- Exposure to, and understanding of Registrable Plant (preferred)
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.