Principal Safety | Nickel West | Perth | 5:2
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
We currently have an opportunity to join our Health & Safety Strategy team as Principal Safety. Our Health & Safety Strategy team is part of the broader Health, Safety and Environment Function providing support across the entire Nickel West Asset, with Safety being a critical element of the services provided. Reporting to our Manager Health & Safety Strategy, you will be a key member in a team of dedicated health & safety professionals in this complex, diverse and rewarding setting.
This is a great opportunity to provide input into the development and improvement of a safety framework that enables BHP to deliver on the Charter Value of Sustainability and deliver excellent HSE performance.
The role is full time permanent position based in Perth with regular travel required to support Nickel West operations. The opportunity requires you to provide leadership, coaching, strategic direction and expert support on BHP safety management systems and processes. Flexible working options are available.
You will be required to:
- Work with the Nickel West HSE Leadership Team, to set the strategic safety direction for the asset.
- Represent Nickel West at the Minerals Australia regional HSE level and externally in forums requiring deep subject matter expertise, influencing the wider industry and regulators on matters relevant to safety.
- Build capability within the operational health & safety teams and leaders to enable them to create the desired safety and culture, and enact their HSE risk management and compliance requirements
- Identify, prioritise and implement required HSE strategies and initiates to support successful operational outcomes
- Support the Asset implementation of relevant HSE Business Plan initiatives
- Monitor the quality of HSE risk assessments, event investigation and field leadership;
- Analyse and report on safety insights to lead team.
You will be a self-motivated professional with excellent communication and engagement skills. You will have a solid record of accomplishment of achieving results through influence, coaching and mentoring.
To be successful in the role, you will also have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Health and Safety, Risk Management or a related field;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to build trusted relationships and influence at multiple levels in safety
- Coaching and mentoring skills with a genuine desire to help people, achieve solid outcomes and support continuous improvement;
- Aptitude to plan, book and undertake travel and engagements with multiple stakeholders independently;
- Previous exposure to the mining and minerals processing industries is preferable; and
- Ability to Lead change
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
If you are already employed directly by BHP, please log in using your BHP email address or apply via our internal jobs portal.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size, stability and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a best-in-class employee share program. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
At BHP, we know that we are strengthened by diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity employer that is committed to making BHP a safe and inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive and be at their best every day. We are focused on creating a workforce that’s more diverse and represents the communities where we work and live. providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and recognise that true diversity includes gender, age, race, disability status, sexual orientation, religion, neurodiversity, education levels, and many more aspects of your identity.
BHP is committed to providing a recruitment process that is fair, equitable and accessible for all. If you have a disability, we know that it may be helpful for us to adjust our process to make it equitable for your individual situation. If you would like to reach out to someone about your situation and our recruitment process, please email us at [email protected].