Open Cut Overseer (CMO) | Blackwater | Upcoming Opportunities Talent Pool
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) is a world-class business, built on the strengths of BHP Billiton and Mitsubishi. BMA is part of the world's largest diversified resources company managing various mines and a port in Central Queensland. These opportunities are located at our Blackwater Open Cut Mine, in Central which has one of the largest coal reserves in Australia and the world.
We are currently seeking Open Cut Overseer’s for upcoming opportunities at Blackwater Mine, working a on a 7on, 7off Day/Night roster and reporting to the Open Cut Coordinator.
You will be accountable for supervising and leading a team of safety professionals to ensure, collaboration across teams in leading systemic improvements in existing safety processes and increasing the safety and health management capability of existing leaders and others with statutory qualifications. In this leadership role you can leverage your experience in leadership, stakeholder engagement, safety, compliance and legislative aspects.
- Carries out the responsibilities and duties prescribed under a CMSH Regulation in one or more surface mine excavations;
- Provides proactive technical and practical advice for the development of tactical and short term mine plans to achieve safe and efficient production outcomes;
- Collaborates with production supervisors, production superintendents and mine planners to coordinate and execute mine team objectives to set and meet mine plans in a safe and efficient manner;
- Proactively identifies and promotes early identification of risks across mines;
- Proactively reports on and analyses safety performance to identify opportunities for continuous improvement based on analysis of in field inspections, operational trends and industry shifts/events;
- Facilitates Field Leadership and Asset Risk Management Framework Activities (eg MOC processes and risk assessments);
- Provides coaching to develop safety and health management capability of existing leaders and other persons who are attaining their OCE qualification;
- Facilitates regular opportunities (e.g. pre-start briefings, leadership team meetings) for teams to discuss risk, share lessons learned and improve risk management or operational practices including as a result of involvement in asset wide initiatives; and
- Promotes and embeds BHP lean Methodologies to enable teams to proactivley identify and implement safety improvement opportunities.
Why not you? Why not now? To learn more about why you should work at BMA, click here.
You will be a performance and achievement oriented professional, who is motivated by exceeding expectations and is able to use your relationship building and influencing skills in order to deliver results. Your strong desire to work with your team to ensure they are delivering their best will see you well placed for success.
Your background in leading a large team on a front-line supervisory capacity and the ability to engage and build capability of your reports and be a champion for change is highly desirable for this role.
You will come with an Open Cut Examiner Certificate of competence (QLD) or equivalent qualification that is eligible for mutual recognition or actively pursuing the qualification. You will also have a QLD drivers licence and S1, 2 and/or 3 competencies.
This broad and challenging role will utilise your abilities to work across stakeholders and deliver on competing priorities in order to achieve improved safety outcomes for the operation clearly demonstrated throughout your prior experience.
Please ensure all Qualifications or if you have commenced the mutual recognition process clearly marked in your resume.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Please note as part of this recruitment process the successful applicant will need to conduct a Queensland legislated coal mine workers’ health assessment.
From 1 April 2023, ResHealth will be mandatory for the completion of coal mine workers’ health assessments, allowing you to submit, monitor and review the progress of your health assessment in a secure online environment.
For more information please go to the ResHealth website.
If you are already employed directly by BHP, please log in above using your BHP email address or apply via our internal jobs portal.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size, stability and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a best-in-class employee share program. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
At BHP, we know that we are strengthened by diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity employer that is committed to making BHP a safe and inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive and be at their best every day. We are focused on creating a workforce that’s more diverse and represents the communities where we work and live. providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and recognise that true diversity includes gender, age, race, disability status, sexual orientation, religion, neurodiversity, education levels, and many more aspects of your identity.
BHP is committed to providing a recruitment process that is fair, equitable and accessible for all. If you have a disability, we know that it may be helpful for us to adjust our process to make it equitable for your individual situation. If you would like to reach out to someone about your situation and our recruitment process, please email us at [email protected].