Principal Environment - Approvals | WAIO | Perth
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
We currently have an opportunity for an Environment Principal to join our Environmental Approvals team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a supportive team that embodies our Charter Values. The role is based in Perth on a standard Monday to Friday roster, however, flexible work options will be considered. Travel to our Pilbara operations will be required from time to time to support execution of supporting work for our environmental approvals, including engagement with Traditional Owners and regulators.
Reporting to the Superintendent Environment Approvals, your primary responsibility will be to identify, coordinate and deliver major environmental approvals to support BHP Western Australia Iron Ore’s business plan. You will provide deep functional expertise, working with multidisciplinary teams within the business and external consultants to ensure that relevant technical studies, surveys and supporting environmental approval documentation meet BHP and government requirements.
In this role you will:
- Manage or support preparation of State and Federal environmental approvals, including negotiating environmental approval conditions with government on behalf of BHP;
- Develop and maintain environmental approvals strategies that are aligned to, and prioritised in accordance with, broader business objectives;
- Engage with relevant external stakeholders including Traditional Owners, State and Federal Government agencies on major environmental approvals;
- Maintain effective interfaces between BHP Functional and Operational teams (Planning and Technical, Projects, Legal, Corporate Affairs, Sites);
- Provide strategic, tactical and technical environmental approvals advice to project teams; and
- Support other environmental activities and initiatives as directed by the business.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following:
- Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science, Engineering, or equivalent;
- Extensive demonstrated experience in managing major environmental approvals (or other significant external approvals);
- Strong understanding of relevant environmental legislation, in particular Part IV and Part V of the Western Australia Environmental Protection Act 1986
- Significant experience effectively managing and influencing internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience engaging with Traditional Owner groups on environmental matters;
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing business needs;
- Experience leading change;
- Strong planning, organisational and time management skills.
Location and Roster
The role is based in Perth corporate office on Monday to Friday roster, however, flexible work options will be considered. Travel to our Pilbara operations may be required from time to time to support execution of supporting work for our environmental approvals, including engagement with Traditional Owners and regulators.
What is on offer?
- Permanent employment with BHP with all the benefits of full-time work.
- Flexible working options, benefits to enable your work-life balance.
- Competitive remuneration.
- Annual performance incentive and salary review.
- Generous share match scheme.
- Various leave options.
- Ongoing support for you and your family through our Employee Assistance Program.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
If you are already employed directly by BHP, please log in using your BHP email address or apply via our internal jobs portal.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size, stability and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a best-in-class employee share program. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
At BHP, we know that we are strengthened by diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity employer that is committed to making BHP a safe and inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive and be at their best every day. We are focused on creating a workforce that’s more diverse and represents the communities where we work and live. providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and recognise that true diversity includes gender, age, race, disability status, sexual orientation, religion, neurodiversity, education levels, and many more aspects of your identity.
BHP is committed to providing a recruitment process that is fair, equitable and accessible for all. If you have a disability, we know that it may be helpful for us to adjust our process to make it equitable for your individual situation. If you would like to reach out to someone about your situation and our recruitment process, please email us at [email protected].