Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Arts (ATSICA) Teacher - Corrections
Box Hill Institute
Location: educational office; on site at Karreenga Correctional Centre
Job Type: Part time
- Located within our educational office; on site at Karreenga Correctional Centre
- Part time until June 2024
- Attractive remuneration package offered
About the role:
A unique and rewarding casual opportunity to join Box Hill Institute on site at Karreenga Correctional Centre as our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Arts (ATSICA) Teacher.
This role forms part of a highly rewarding project where Box Hill Institute, in partnership with Corrections Victoria, provide prisoners the opportunity to complete Nationally Recognised Training courses to achieve qualifications and improve their confidence, life skills and increase employability once released from prison.
As the ATSICA Teacher you will be supporting students within Karreenga Correctional Centre who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander to develop an understanding of their own Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander identity and prepare them for employment within the ATSICA industry upon release.
Teaching the ATSICA course provides an opportunity to develop and deliver high quality, innovative and engaging learner resources and assessments. You will be creating a safe and supportive learning environment for all students and adapt teaching materials and delivery to maximise the opportunities for training available within the prison sites.
As part of the course delivery you will be engaging and supporting students to undertake a range of learning tasks and assessments including; following a design process, develop drawing skills to communicate ideas, use basic drawing techniques and produce paintings.
Note: This role is a part time opportunity until June 2024 and is located within a prison environment where teachers will be alone with student groups made up of prisoners. You will be employed by Box Hill Institute however working onsite at Karreenga Correctional Centre.
- Relevant experience within an ATSICA position or similar
- A current Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or Diploma of Vocational Education and Training
- Well-developed skills in transferring knowledge including the ability to research, select, and use a wide range of learning resources and assessment tools that would ensure a successful training program
- Proficient in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and online meeting platforms (i.e. MS
- Teams). Must be proficient or willing to learn how to use online learning platforms.
- Energetic, innovative and resilient with demonstrable capacity to balance competing priorities and thrive in a consistently changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to interact with students, staff and other key stakeholders of diverse cultures, backgrounds and abilities, including effective communication and interpersonal skills
We are proud to be a leading education provider with a strong reputation for delivering high quality educational outcomes.
Our organisation comprises of Box Hill Institute (Box Hill & Lilydale locations) and Centre for Adult Education (Melbourne CBD) as well as partnerships across various correctional and defence sites in Victoria.
Partnering with Corrections Victoria, our professional site managers, teaching and administration staff are located on site where all education programs are delivered within the prisons where we offer vocational education and training programs across eight prisons within metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.
We are committed to a highly motivated and aligned workforce, so we’ll be by your side to enable you, help you grow, and offer you benefits which enhance your work life balance.
Box Hill Institute is a welcoming, safe and respectful work environment. We are work-life friendly and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply for our vacancies.
We offer more than just a job; we offer benefits to enhance your work life, help you grow, and celebrate your achievements. Employment benefits include:
- Free on-site parking
- Flexible work arrangements (dependent on the role requirements)
- Career progression opportunities and reward & recognition programs
- Novated leasing and salary packaging
- Access to health & wellbeing resources
- Employee discounts on health insurance, car rental, newspaper subscriptions and more
- Access to libraries offering ebooks, films, novels, childrens books and so much more
- Discounts on CAE/Box Hill Institute short courses for staff and their immediate family as well as discounted access to our floristry, beauticians, restaurant, Vet & dog grooming
- Purchased Leave
If you have questions about this role, please contact Adrian Elves via email at email@example.com
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.
Candidates for employment at Box Hill Institute will be subject to pre-employment probity checks, and must satisfy Box Hill Institute’s pre-conditions for employment. These include providing a satisfactory (valid employee) Working With Children Check and National Police Check, as well as evidence of COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic).
Box Hill Institute reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.