Koorie Support Officer - Corrections
Box Hill Institute
Location: Education Office within Karreenga Correctional Centre
Job Type: Part time
- Located at our Education Office within Karreenga Correctional Centre
- Part time until June 2024
- Attractive remuneration package offered
About the role:
A unique and rewarding casual opportunity to join Box Hill Institute on site at Karreenga Correctional Centre as our Koorie Support Officer.
The Koorie Support Officer provides assistance and support to Indigenous students within Karreenga Correctional Centre to achieve educational and cultural needs, assisting with classroom activities and supporting onsite teachers.
Within this role, you will be encouraging Indigenous community engagement and participation in educational projects and participate in creative cultural arts and cultural well-being programs.
You will organise and support cultural days and celebrations and act as a representative in local Aboriginal community network group meetings, Corrections Victoria, BHI or other as required.
See attached position description for further details.
Note: This role is a part time opportunity until June 2024 and is located within a prison environment where teachers will be alone with student groups made up of prisoners. You will be employed by Box Hill Institute however working onsite at Karreenga Correctional Centre.
- Experience within a similar role
- Strong understanding of the Koorie culture
- Understands and meets the needs of the target audience through clear and concise speech and grammatically correct and appropriate formatted written communications
- Identifies processes, tasks and resources required to achieve a goal, developing systems to guide and track progress, effectively finding solutions to barriers
- Listen and deliver on client needs, actively seeks new ways to continuously improve services to deliver high quality outcomes for clients
- Looks for new ways of doing things by drawing on a range of sources, actively generates and promotes ideas reflecting on experience to improve practices
- Demonstrates high-level awareness of and responsiveness to people from a broad range of diverse backgrounds and emotional contexts, is able to shape responses for people, and see issues from the perspective of others
- Establishes and maintains useful relationships, builds trust through consistent actions, values and communication
We are proud to be a leading education provider with a strong reputation for delivering high quality educational outcomes.
Our organisation comprises of Box Hill Institute (Box Hill & Lilydale locations) and Centre for Adult Education (Melbourne CBD) as well as partnerships across various correctional and defence sites in Victoria.
We are committed to a highly motivated and aligned workforce, so we’ll be by your side to enable you, help you grow, and offer you benefits which enhance your work life balance.
Box Hill Institute is a welcoming, safe and respectful work environment. We are work-life friendly and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply for our vacancies.
We offer more than just a job; we offer benefits to enhance your work life, help you grow, and celebrate your achievements. Employment benefits include:
- Flexible work arrangements (dependent on the role requirements)
- Career progression opportunities and reward & recognition programs
- On-site parking
- Novated leasing and salary packaging
- Access to health & wellbeing resources
- Employee discounts on health insurance, car rental, newspaper subscriptions and more
- Access to libraries offering ebooks, films, novels, children's books and so much more
- Discounts on CAE/Box Hill Institute short courses for staff and their immediate family as well as discounted access to our floristry, beauticians, restaurant, Vet & dog grooming
- Purchased Leave
If you have questions about this role, please contact Adrian Elves via email at email@example.com
Applications close: 9am, Friday 6th October 2023
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.
Candidates for employment at Box Hill Institute will be subject to pre-employment probity checks, and must satisfy Box Hill Institute’s pre-conditions for employment. These include providing a satisfactory (valid employee) Working With Children Check and National Police Check, as well as evidence of COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic).
Box Hill Institute reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.