Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Interested to grow a career at the Boorowa Agricultural Research Station?
- Provide support to cropping and livestock research
- Join Australia’s National Science and Innovation Agency!
If you have extensive experience with agricultural plant and machinery operation and livestock management, then here is an exciting opportunity for you!
As a Technical Officer, you will provide a high standard of technical support to assist the CSIRO Agriculture and Food Business Unit conduct field research at the Boorowa Agricultural Research Station and at regional sites.
You will establish, maintain, and harvest field trials using agricultural and specialised research machinery, undertake general farm duties and assist with the management of a sheep flock.
You will be comfortable to work under direction from senior technical staff with minimal supervision and integrate well as a team member. The position is based in Boorowa, NSW.
Your duties will include:
- Maintain a high standard of technical support to research staff
- Maintain vigilance over trial sowings, report problems and implement relevant control strategies
- Provide support to livestock management including monitoring health and pastures
- Maintain, calibrate, and operate specialised research and general farm machinery
- Maintain and operate the above machinery safely and in accordance with workplace and government regulations
- General farm duties including irrigation, fencing, maintenance of stock water systems, weed control
- Other duties as directed
Location: Boorowa, NSW
Salary: AU$68k – AU$86k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 2 year specified term
To be considered you will need:
- High school certificate with proven digital literacy with general Microsoft products or similar.
- Extensive experience with agricultural plant and machinery operation and livestock management.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a farm operations team and carry out tasks under general direction from senior staff.
- Current Australian Manual Driver’s Licence and a Heavy Rigid Truck Licence with experience transporting heavy farming equipment
- Demonstrated experience sowing and harvesting crops and maintenance of related equipment
- Demonstrated experience managing livestock, including health and pasture feed management
- Experience selecting and applying agricultural chemicals and willingness to use same
- Possess good computer skills and the ability to keep and maintain accurate records
- Qualifications including forklift licence, AQF3 chemical user certificate or equivalent
- Practical experience with research trials and knowledge of sound cropping rotations
- Experience in the management of a self-replacing merino flock
- Ability and willingness to stay at regional sites during seasonal activities such as sowing and harvesting.
- Possess a current remote pilot licence (RePL) for drones up to 7kg
- Current Apply First Aid or equivalent certificate.
- Heavy combination truck licence
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian or New Zealand citizens, Australian permanent residents and Australian temporary residents who hold a valid work visa for the duration of the specified term, without the requirement for sponsorship by CSIRO.
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and pre-employment medical examination prior to commencement.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
13 April 2023, 11:00pm AEST