Front End Software Engineer
Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency!
- Endless opportunities to grow & develop your career
- Innovative and collaborative workplace with fantastic flexibility
The Science Realisation team is seeking a talented front end software engineer to help deliver positive economic, environmental and societal impact by transitioning CSIRO’s research and technology through web applications.
We believe that even the most complicated research can be made accessible to and understandable by anyone.
As a member of the Science Realisation team, you will be given a high degree of autonomy to find elegant solutions to interesting problems. We work in an open, collaborative environment with flexible hours and a focus on continuous learning. We typically work with Typescript, ReactJS and AngularJS; however we are not dogmatic about our technology choices and will use the most appropriate tool for the problem at hand.
Your duties will include:
- Design, develop, deploy and maintain web applications and services
- Work with customers to understand their needs and make sure they are met
- Collaborate effectively with engineering, research, UI/UX and business teams
- Contribute to CSIRO’s engineering discipline by promoting the effective use of software development tools, practices and culture
- Communicate openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practise, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, and business unit to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objective
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Code of Conduct, Health, Safety and Environment procedures and policy, Diversity initiatives and Making Safety Personal goals.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Canberra
Salary: AU$105,806 - AU$114,500 per annum - plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in software engineering.
- Familiarity with REST APIs
- Demonstrated experience with contemporary software development tools and practises: version control, unit testing, automated testing, issue tracking
- Sound interpersonal skills as evidenced by the ability to work effectively and collaboratively within and across teams
- Good judgement as applied to the identification and successful resolution of complex (technical and non-technical) problems and issues
To be appointed at the higher salary range, the candidate will have:
- At least 3 years of professional software development experience
- Significant expertise in web front-end development
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
04th October 2023, 11:00pm AEST