Safety Coordinator - Brisbane/Bowen Basin
Location: Brisbane, Gladstone Central, Mackay, Rockhampton
Job Type: Full time
BUMA Australia was established in 2021 to acquire the Open Cut Mining business of Downer. This acquisition included the transition of all people, mining services contracts, assets, systems and intellectual property from a business which has successfully provided mining and civil services in diverse locations and across many commodities for over 100 years. BUMA Australia is part of the Delta Dunia Group listed on the Jakarta Stock Exchange.
With a strong commitment to safety, innovation and technology, BUMA Australia pursues a relationship-based long-term approach to ensure the mutual success of all projects. Ensuring we provide value to our clients through all stages of mining is a mainstay of our business and we have the expertise and equipment to deliver total mining services to any surface operation.
Everything we do is underpinned by our vision – to be a leading mining service provider contributing to future energy solutions and is supported by our core values of safety, integrity, innovation, collaboration and people.
About the Role:
We have a new opportunity for a Safety Coordinator to join our BUMA Australia Zero Harm Leadership team to enable the company’s Zero Harm goals and objectives to be met. The Safety Coordinator will maintain close and collaborative working relationships with Project Managers and Site department leaders to identify site needs and ensure the effective implementation of Health & Safety programs. Your role will be based in our Brisbane office at South Bank, however you will regularly travel to our 5 sites throughout Queensland providing health and safety support to our teams. You will also be responsible for developing and mentoring Health & Safety professionals and working with Learning & Development to implement safety promotions and training material.
You will be responsible for ensuring the Health, Safety and Training Project Systems are compliant with legislation and standards and effective and adequate to reduce the likelihood of injury or serious accidents. The role will be accountable for the following key elements of the system:
- Visible Field Leadership
- Training and Development
- Supervisor Development Program
- Cardinal Rules
- Contract Management
- Equipment and Tooling standards
- Incident Investigation support
- Workplace (Pride) Standards and Inspections
- Operational Controls – including Standard Operating Procedures, work instructions, permits and forms
- Effective Preventative and Corrective Actioning
Site visits are an essential part of this role in order to:-
- Provide leave relief for sites’ Safety Coordinators
- Maintain and support key working relationships
- Check implementation of HST systems
- Review site standards by work area inspections with site staff
- Undertake Critical Risk Observations
- Undertake targeted Planned Task Observations (reviewing the implementation and adequacy of procedures)
- Develop and mentor Health and Safety Professionals
The role is also responsible for supporting sites through Significant Incident Investigation and reporting and sharing relevant information to sites through a monthly Significant Incident forum and other means of communication.
- Tertiary qualifications in a health and safety discipline
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in senior Health and Safety roles
- Previous work history in mining or heavy vehicle industry with similar risk profiles
- Ability to work with remote teams and varied stakeholders
- Risk management including Critical risk implementation
- Knowledge and application of current mental health strategies
- Knowledge of the mining industry’s regulations and legislation relating to Health and Safety would be well regarded
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to negotiate and liaise with site personnel
- Good rapport building skills with site based leaders and workforce
- Ability to influence outcomes through a combination of data, logic and emotive arguments
- Regular travel to operating sites and interstate is a requirement of the role
- Computer literacy and exposure to the Microsoft range of packages
- Ability to demonstrate skills in time management, organisation and teamwork.
To be considered for this opportunity please click “Apply Now” to submit your application!
Please note suitable applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment checks including a Criminal History Check. Email applications and agencies are not accepted.