Track Maintenance Trainee - Shepparton
Greyhound Racing Victoria
Job Type: Contract/temp
Shepparton Greyhound Racing Club are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Trainee to join our team to learn the sport of Greyhound Racing and play a vital role in maintaining our tracks.
Our Club conducts two weekly race meetings and two trial sessions.
We provide greyhound owners, trainers, and breeders plus the local community with quality racing facilities while prioritising greyhound safety and welfare.
We’re part of Victoria’s vibrant greyhound racing industry and an exciting sport that includes 12 other clubs, involves over 17,000+ people, and generates $600 million in economic activity.
The work we do is regulated by Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV).
About the traineeship
Over a 12-month period, you will work with the Track Curator and Assistant Curator to develop your knowledge and skills in all things track preparation and facilities / grounds maintenance. This primarily involves working outdoors, in all kinds of weather. Some of the work is physically demanding and involves bending, lifting, and handling machinery.
Flexibility is key as the work involves a combination of early starts, afternoon, evening, and weekend shifts to align with the race meeting and trial schedules.
Your team works alongside the GRV Track Maintenance and Infrastructure team and GRV Race Day Stewards, so you’ll get to know lots of people and learn about all the difference facets of greyhound racing.
In addition to practical experience, you will complete structured learning activities as you work towards your nationally recognised Certificate III in Racing Services (Track Maintenance).
About your day
- Assist with preparing a satisfactory and consistent racing and trialling surface in accordance with Club and GRV standards.
- Assist with setting up and maintaining track infrastructure and race day equipment such as starting boxes, lure system, lure rail and safety rail, catching pen and gates, perimeter fencing and access gates.
- Utilise fertilisers, chemicals, and machinery to maintain grounds through fertilising, mowing, trimming, pruning, and watering to ensure plants are healthy, safe, and attractive.
- Assist with setup and pack up of events, including cleaning of kennels and pavilion.
- Attend and work at greyhound race meetings, including assisting with running trials.
We’re looking for someone with a genuine interest in developing a career in greyhound racing.
A self-starter, you’re interested in this kind of work and eager to learn. You’ll need to be prepared to enrol in and work towards successful completion of the Certificate III in Racing Services (Track Maintenance).
You’ll also need:
- Valid driver licence.
- Medium rigid vehicle licence (or ability to obtain).
- Ability to tow a trailer and other implements with vehicle or tractor.
- Unrestricted right to work in Australia.
Why join us
- Make a significant impact on greyhound safety through track preparation.
- Collaborative and supportive team who will help you grow and develop.
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification.
- Attractive salary: $22.61 per hour plus super.
Interested? Apply today!
If you're ready to take on the challenge and contribute to our Club's success, apply today!
To find out more, check out the position description.
We're committed to building workplaces that not only respects but embraces difference and sees diversity as an essential part of our success. GRV and all greyhound racing clubs are driven by our values and strives for a culture of inclusion where all people feel respected, valued, listened to, inspired and that they belong.
All offers of employment will be subject to a satisfactory police check and all employees must reside in Australia and have the right to work in Australia.
While we appreciate the great work undertaken by our recruitment agency partners, we're managing this opportunity directly.