Fire Engineering Lead
Metro Trains Melbourne
Job Type: Full time
Metro is a multi-award winning organisation, and we pride ourselves on our team of honest, high performing professionals who are talented, inclusive and safety focused and who are at the core of our success. You will be joining an organisation that is known as a global leader in its field but also prides itself on being dynamic, embracing new technologies and focused on customer service. Our aim is to promote work/life balance, allow team members to bring their best to work and to truly be focused on a common goal which is to provide a world-class railway service.
We are currently looking for a Fire Engineering Lead to be part of the Network Assets & Assurance division, the Office of The Chief Engineer (OCE) reporting to the Engineering Manager for Metro Tunnel Project and working closely with the OCE’s Fire and Facilities Engineering Manager. You will lead and manage MTM’s Fire Protection Engineer as a direct report, providing expert technical advice and assurance related to fire safety engineering.
As part of the Metro Tunnel Project team, you will as the project finalises its design and undergoes testing & commissioning manage fire safety engineering issues for other rail projects, rail operations, and railway maintenance.
This is a permanent full-time opportunity. As an MTM employee, you will have access to free travel along the network.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The role is part of a team of engineers that are subject matter experts (SME) that will complete design assurance activities on behalf of Metro on the Metro Tunnel Project. Main responsibilities of the role will include:
- Providing expert technical advice and assurance on behalf of the MTM Chief Engineer relating to Fire Safety Engineering for the Metro Tunnel Project.
- Consulting with other MTM engineering disciplines as well as internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the project’s fire engineering strategy is integrated across the multi-disciplinary design as well as operational and maintenance documentation
- Review engineering deliverables (including designs, fire engineering briefs/reports, and testing documentation) submitted to MTM by the Metro Tunnel Project delivery consortiums to ensure compliance of these deliverables with relevant standards, legislative requirements, and the agreed project fire engineering strategy.
- Attend risk assessments, hazard reviews, and stakeholder workshops to identify, mitigate, and review fire safety risks to ensure MTM can demonstrate that such risks are being managed safe SFAIRP
- Contribute to the risk register during the design and implementation phases, including monitoring and reporting of risk status.
- Liaise with stakeholders and key MTM internal project groups, operations, maintenance, infrastructure and other associated parties to ensure functional requirements are met and all matters are effectively managed.
- Tertiary qualification in Engineering is essential.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Fire Safety Engineer (or equivalent)
- Sound knowledge of train operations and control in a high traffic density rail network will be highly preferred.
- Understanding of fire and life safety in an underground rail environment.
- Strong stakeholder management experience to work collaboratively and build strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Solid report writing, analytical ability and critical thinking with the ability to work autonomously.
This is a fantastic and dynamic opportunity to build on the career you have developed to date and be part of the legacy that ‘connects people and places for a growing Melbourne'
If what you've read resonates with your values, experience, and career aspiration then we want to hear from you!
Please submit your application via our recruitment portal by Sunday 11th December 2022 to be considered for this position.
Metro Trains is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We encourage all interested applicants to apply but please do note only applications with the right to live and work in Australia will be considered for this position.
Why work for Metro?
- Attractive Remuneration: Excellent pay package with laptop and mobile phone
- Career Progression: Career development support and opportunities to learn new skills within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Vibrant and Ambitious Team: A collaborative team of passionate people who are dedicated to delivering projects that improve the safety and reliability of Melbourne’s rail network
- Permanent Opportunity: Our ongoing involvement in the exciting pipeline of major rail projects
- Benefits: Free Myki travel across Victoria and other great corporate discounts
- Work-Life Balance and Hybrid Working: We encourage flexibility and wellbeing; you will manage your own schedule and we will support you to thrive in your role. MTM supports flexible working arrangements.