Project Controls Manager
Metro Trains Melbourne
Job Type: Full time
Metro moves you around Melbourne.
As the city’s metropolitan rail service, Metro operates 226 six carriage trains across 998 kilometres of track, transporting 450,000 customers each day. We aim to encourage the Melbourne community’s vibrant and ever evolving lifestyles, by providing a seamless transport solution to keep individuals connected.
With 15 lines, 222 stations and services seven days a week, Metro can take you wherever you’re headed across the city, whenever you want to go.
Metro is a multi-award winning organisation, and we pride ourselves on our team of honest, high performing professionals who are talented, inclusive and safety focused and who are at the core of our success. You will be joining an organisation that is known as a global leader in its field but also prides itself on being dynamic, embracing new technologies and focused on customer service. Our aim is to promote work/life balance, allow team members to bring their best to work and truly be focused on a common goal which is to provide a world-class railway service.
About the role
Due to continuous growth, we are currently looking for a dynamic Project Controls Manager to support the Program Manager and Delivery Teams in our Franchise Projects team. This role will see you reporting, providing project controls governance and analysis of data to inform strategic decision making.
You will provide leadership in the delivery of project controls activities, oversight of project and program performance, project governance and compliance and training to the Delivery Teams across a range of disciplines which includes project controls, performance reporting, cost control, financial budgeting/forecasting, planning and scheduling, risk management and change control. You will assist in the delivery of Franchise Project Services directions and priorities in line with strategic and operational objectives, and ensure compliance with Franchise Agreement – Train, MTM’s Project Management Framework, and all associated standards, ensuring best practice, alignment and consistency across Projects within the Program.
The Franchise Projects portfolio includes all projects delivered by Metro Trains Melbourne (MTM) on behalf of the Department of Transport (Formerly PTV). It includes Third Party Projects accessing our network to conduct their own works examples of these are: The Westgate Tunnel Project, North East Link and major Utilities like Melbourne Water.
This is a permanent full-time opportunity. As an MTM employee, you will have access to free travel along the network.
The key responsibilities of a Project Controls Manager will include but not be limited to:
- Increase staff engagement, ensuring a continuous improvement mindset that drives performance, development and operational efficiency.
- Co-ordinate and develop the Program planning and cost control teams to ensure consistent and robust implementation of planning and cost control processes across a program of works.
- Manage Program Planning Manager and Senior Cost Controller resources to appropriate KPI’s, training, development, succession planning and general performance.
- Partner with Portfolio and Divisional Project Services to review project controls/services processes and systems to ensure they are fit for purpose for Franchise Delivery.
- Implement Portfolio and Divisional processes and business improvement initiatives.
- Provide support and governance to Franchise Project Delivery teams in the areas of project controls, governance, performance reporting, cost control, planning and scheduling, estimating and completions.
- Deliver project controls awareness and training programs to the wider project teams to ensure awareness and compliance to MTM Project Management Framework.
- Ensure compliance to MTM Project Management Framework and apply the requirements of the Franchise Agreement Train – Projects Module.
- Review outputs of project controls activities to monitor consistency of standards and technical accuracy.
- Ownership and consolidation of planning, resource, finance and cost control reporting into Program reports, including staffing plans, mid-month and financial year budgets, project schedule lookaheads, integrated schedules and Program risk registers.
- Co-ordinate project monthly report reviews
- Conduct peer reviews of estimates, project proposals and project management plans project controls inputs.
- Lead direct reports, their teams and key stakeholders to ensure end to end processes are aligned, roles are understood and represent efficient deployment of resources
- Implement and manage change control process to ensure Program complies with Portfolio and Divisional standards.
- Coordinate Program occupation planning and scheduling.
- Implement and manage Program governance and compliance program & Program risk management process.
- Liaise with varying Client representatives to foster strong relationships and partnering.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Tertiary qualification in or an equivalent qualification in Project Management or a Project Controls discipline
- Experience in using Project Control Systems
- Expert knowledge of Program/Project Management delivery & practices. Including demonstrated practical experience in Project Controls Governance, Estimating, Scheduling, Cost Control, Change Control, Risk Management, Earned Value Measurement Systems and Financial & Contractual Compliance
- Experience in writing and implementing project controls processes and procedures
- Good leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate the importance of governance and process adherence in the portfolio whilst driving quality and commercially focused delivery
- Ability to collect, analyse and present data and information in reports
- Ability to lead, influence, develop, monitor, motivate, and coach colleagues and lead business change
Why work for Metro?
- Attractive Remuneration: Excellent pay package with laptop and mobile phone
- Career Progression: Career development support and opportunities to learn new skills within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Vibrant and Ambitious Team: A collaborative team of passionate people who are dedicated to delivering projects that improve the safety and reliability of Melbourne’s rail network
- Permanent Opportunity: Our ongoing involvement in the exciting pipeline of major rail projects
- Benefits: Free Myki travel across Victoria and other great corporate discounts
- Work-Life Balance and Hybrid Working: We encourage flexibility and wellbeing; you will manage your own schedule and we will support you to thrive in your role. MTM supports flexible working arrangements.
This is a fantastic opportunity to build on the career you've developed to date and take it to the next level by making a tangible impact that matters.
If what you have read resonates with your values, experience and career aspiration then please submit your application by COB, 12th February 2023.
MTM is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We encourage all interested applicants to apply but please note only applications with the right to live and work in Australia will be considered for this position.