Senior Mechanical Engineer
Metro Trains Melbourne
Job Type: Full time
Metro is a multi-award-winning organisation, and we pride ourselves on our team of honest, high performing professionals who are talented, inclusive, and safety focused, and who are at the core of our success.
Join the Rolling Stock Division, within a team of eight (8) reporting to the Head of Heavy Maintenance & Contracts. Provide specialist Mechanical or Mechatronic Technical Engineering services and leadership in Rolling Stock across the 3 fleets on the Metro Melbourne Rail Network. This role is offered as a permanent position, based out of Metro Trains Docklands Head-office
Play a key role in Metros continuous improvement in rolling stock overhauls to improve safety, increase fleet reliability and reduce asset life cycle costs while ensuring MR4 Rolling Stock Overhaul franchise commitments with the State are met.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to facilitate the successful delivery of rolling stock maintenance and projects.
- Use the principals of reliability, availability, maintainability and safety (RAMS) to identify and deliver improvements to rolling stock overhauls.
- Reduce life-cycle costs of rolling stock in relation to overhauls through methodologies such as overhaul periodicity optimisation, use of non-OEM solutions, reverse engineering of components and modifications to rolling stock systems.
- Engage with Rolling Stock suppliers to drive improvements that will provide greater value to MTM for current and future overhaul works.
- Develop, prepare and evaluate options and proposals for modifications to rolling stock, including testing and type approval of new systems and equipment to establish their suitability for use.
- Investigate operational and maintenance incidents to identify both root causes and significant contributory factors and provide the Chief Engineer and Management with recommendations.
- Assist in the development and writing of overhaul/repair specifications and scopes of works documents.
Qualifications & Experience Criteria
- Bachelor’s level tertiary qualification in Mechanical or Mechatronic Engineering or equivalent discipline essential.
- 10+ years in rolling stock Mechanical or Mechatronic Engineering in a Design, Construction, Consultancy or Maintenance environment.
- Managing the delivery of a project by a supplier from a Project Management perspective.
Click to submit your application by 5th February 2023 with shortlisting to commence upon application.
If you don’t tick all the above boxes though, don't worry - we welcome all applicants whose values and career aspirations align with this exciting opportunity!
Why work for MTM?
- Attractive Remuneration: Excellent pay package with laptop and mobile phone
- Career Progression: Career development support and opportunities to learn new skills within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Vibrant and Ambitious Team: A collaborative team of passionate people who are dedicated to delivering projects that improve the safety and reliability of Melbourne’s rail network
- Permanent Full-Time Opportunity: Our ongoing involvement in the exciting pipeline of major rail projects
- Benefits: Free Myki travel across Victoria and other great corporate discounts
- Work-Life Balance and Hybrid Working: With a great CBD office location, MTM also supports flexible working arrangements
Metro Trains is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We encourage all interested applicants to apply but please note only applications with the right to live and work in Australia will be considered for this position.