Program Rail Safety Manager
Metro Trains Melbourne
Job Type: Full time
Metro is a multi-award winning organisation and we pride ourselves on our team of honest, high performing professionals who are talented, inclusive and safety focused and who are at the core of our success. You will be joining an organisation that is known as a global leader in its field but also prides itself on being dynamic, embracing new technologies and focused on customer service. Our aim is to promote work/life balance feel comfortable to bring their best to work, and to truly be focused on a common goal which is to provide a world class railway service. .
As the Level Crossing Removal Project continues to sustainably transform the Melbourne rail network, the Metro Trains team involved in this large-scale program of projects is expanding to respond to current and future works. The experience gained in this exciting, multi-disciplinary environment will be highly valuable to building your career in the rail and construction industries.
Metro Trains Level Crossing Removal Team (MLXRT) currently have a opportunity for a Program Rail Safety Manager to support & work closely with the MLXRT Safety, Environment, Risk and Quality (SERQ) Teams and Project Delivery teams as part of the Level Crossing Removal Program.
The Program Rail Safety Manager provides knowledge & advice in relation to Metro Trains’ safety practices, systems, and procedures whilst promoting & driving continuous improvement and leadership in Rail Safety Culture. You will a leader of rail safety and provide direction, support and advice in developing and improving constructability across the Level Crossing Removal Program.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Promote Rail Safety and OHS awareness via Metro Trains’s culture of Zero Harm across the Level Crossing Removal Program through training, coaching, and mentoring of rail safety staff
- Chair bi-monthly Level Crossing Removal Project Rail Safety Forum
- Drive improvement in the MTM’s Safety Management System (SMS) relating to Projects and the development of plans and procedures to best suit project requirements
- Drive improvements in rail safety training and development of new training programs for Rail Safety Workers
- Provide practicable risk management solutions to project management within the Program regarding rail infrastructure construction from design to completion
- Drive standardisation of work methods across the various projects within the Portfolio/Program to achieve improvements in rail safety and the optimum use of resources by MTM and Contractors
- Collaborate with internal & external stakeholder groups, relevant safety committees, and Industry based groups to drive continuous improvement in Safety competence and culture
- Attend incident sites as required to assist and support site re-start and facilitate investigations
- Extensive experience (10 yrs +) in the Rail Industry in a SERQ discipline with a Theory 3.2 safe working Theory (Track Force Protection Coordinator) qualification or above
- A strong working knowledge of Rail Safety, OHS and other related/associated legislative requirements is essential
- Excellent communications skills (written & verbal), effective stakeholder management and influencing ability
- Experience in Coaching, Mentoring and Personnel Development in teams is preferred
- Experience in the Implementation and Auditing of OHS & Rail Safety systems is preferred
Why work for the Metro Level Crossing Removal Team (MLXRT) ?
- Our ongoing involvement in the exciting pipeline of major rail projects
- Career development support and opportunities to learn new skills within a multi-disciplinary environment
- A collaborative team of passionate people who are dedicated to delivering projects that improve the safety and reliability of Melbourne’s rail network
This is a fantastic opportunity to build on your current career and take it to the next level by making a tangible impact that matters. If what you’ve read resonates with your values, experience and career aspiration then we want to hear from you!
If what you’ve read resonates with your values, experience and career aspiration then we want to hear from you! Applications close Sunday 23rd of April, 2023
Metro Trains is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We encourage all interested applicants to apply but please do note only applications with the right to live and work in Australia will be considered for this position.