Head of Finance & Commercial - Technology
Metro Trains Melbourne
Job Type: Full time
Metro moves you around Melbourne.
As the city’s metropolitan rail service, Metro operates 226 six carriage trains across 998 kilometres of track, transporting 450,000 customers each day. We aim to encourage the Melbourne community’s vibrant and ever evolving lifestyles, by providing a seamless transport solution to keep individuals connected.
With 15 lines, 222 stations and services seven days a week, Metro can take you wherever you’re headed across the city, whenever you want to go.
Position Purpose Statement
The Head of Finance and Commercial - Technology is pivotal in helping the Finance & Commercial team deliver outstanding commercial results through the provision of all business services including client commercial management, supplier commercial management, finance, business planning & governance.
This role will closely support the General Manager of Technology by providing input into key strategic management decisions that enhance the overall results of the team and the department. In addition, you will be part of an engaged team that works in a fast-paced environment focused on collaboration and achieving favourable outcomes.
About the Role
As the Head of Finance & Commercial - Technology, you will:
- Ensure a high level of client commercial management through the negotiation of favourable commercial outcomes, develop, and maintain positive relationships with key commercial contacts and engage the internal Legal team in key commercial matters
- Provide high-quality administration of supplier commercial management by providing input into key supply chain decisions and liaising with the contract management team to achieve favourable commercial outcomes
- Oversee annual Budgets and quarterly Forecasts and provide analysis and advice to support sound business decision-making and effective financial controls over in-year budgets
- Integrate Technology business planning with other MTM business unit business planning
- Ensure a high-quality system of commercial and financial review within each business unit
- Provide commercial and contractual advice, support, and insights to other internal stakeholders, including those up to the executive level
What's in it for You?
- Metro supports work/life balance and understands that there is more to life than work. We provide opportunities to work from home as agreed with your line manager aligned with achieving required business outcomes and MTM Flexible Work Policy
- All Metro employees receive a freeMyki Pass that allows free Public Transport in Victoria
- Have a significant impact on improving current processes and initiatives
- Work with a supportive, down-to-earth team of individuals from varying backgrounds and experiences
- Access to a wide range of corporate discounts
Our aim is to promote work/life balance, allow members to bring their unique selves to work and be truly focused on a common goal which is to provide a world-class railway service. Furthermore, you will work in a highly supportive team environment that empowers you to make decisions, values your ideas and contributions, and encourages career development.
At Metro we believe that inclusion is the achievement of a work environment, in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to our success. We place a significant focus on increasing women in our workforce and have made substantial efforts to increase the number of women in train driving, engineering, and senior leadership roles. We also have our commitment to social inclusion employment for people from under-represented groups and those facing barriers to employment.
Qualification, Skills, and Experience
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Outstanding negotiating and influencing skills
- Proven contract management and commercial experience
- Demonstrated experience working with senior internal and external stakeholders and negotiating favourable commercial outcomes
- A solid understanding of procurement and supply chain management practices
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of financial management and accounting principles
- Tertiary qualifications in Business Management, Economics, Commerce, or equivalent discipline
- Accountant Qualifications (preferred)
If you are a passionate senior leader who is keen to join an organisation where your skills and experience are valued and utilised, then we want to hear from you.
Applications close at 11.59 pm Thursday, June 8th 2023
The Head of Finance and Commercial - Technology is pivotal in helping the Finance & Commercial team deliver outstanding commercial results.
- Competitive Salary & Benefits
- Key Leadership Role
- Outstanding Culture & Career Opportunities