Staff Adversarial Engineer
Job Type: Full time
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box, we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
Information Security is a top business imperative here at Okta. In addition to driving security in our Corporate environment and Okta service, the Security team is deeply entrenched in the Okta business. As such, we contribute to product roadmaps, branding, research and other strategic aspects of our operations. We work across multiple functions, business partners and the research community. We are an engineering-focused team that seeks to stay on the cutting edge of security technology and the threat landscape.
The Defensive Cyber Operations (DCO) team is seeking an experienced adversarial engineer to enable Okta’s detection and response programs responsible for defending the Okta platform, infrastructure and corporate environment.
You will operate as part of one of our regional DCO teams, building, maintaining and operating the detection and response capabilities to enable Okta’s intel-driven approach to defensive cyber operations. Core responsibilities include:
- Research adversary methodology related to the systems and services Okta’s security team needs to defend in order to replicate those capabilities to aid in detection development and assurance.
- Develop and execute (on demand or continuously) attack emulations against SaaS applications, user endpoints, and in cloud environments including containerized infrastructure.
- Identify and harness detection opportunities from the results of attack emulations and threat modeling
You will also:
- Assist with the orchestration and automation of enrichment, triage and response steps required to respond to security related events.
- Take part in the DCO watch roster triaging alerts escalated via automated processes, internal reports, and third-party notifications along with hunting for malicious activity and tuning alerts.
- Contribute to the investigation, remediation and reporting of cyber security incidents.
What you won’t be doing in this role:
- This is not a “red team”, full scope operational role. Live engagements are coordinated with the defensive teams up front with full knowledge. Many initiatives are run in controlled lab environments.
- This is not a penetration testing role. While vulnerabilities may be found, the purpose is not the identification and exploitation of vulnerabilities. Value is provided in the analysis of how an attacker may leverage systems.
What does it take?
You’re a team player with great communications skills and a thirst for knowledge. You’re curious about systems and how they interact, knowing that to properly defend a system you must first understand how it works. You enjoy automating tasks and if you can’t find a tool for the job you create one. You’re calm under pressure and have a good internal compass for taking calculated risks.
You’ve previously worked in a red team or purple team capacity and want to work more closely with the blue team. You can explain how major attacker techniques work, along with methods to detect and investigate them. You don’t stop after identifying a problem - you partner with other teams to solve it. You desire to work with a fully remote team and can remain productive and on task outside of a physical office.
If you don’t have a degree, you have equivalent experience that’s given you the foundational knowledge to understand complex computing environments.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.