Superintendent - Health & Safety
Job Type: Full time
OZ Minerals is now proudly part of BHP, with the acquisition strengthening BHP’s portfolio in copper and nickel, helping to meet the worlds increasing demand for the critical minerals needed for electric vehicles, wind turbines and solar panels, to supporting the energy transition to a cleaner and more sustainable future.
In combining our two organisations we will be able to provide more options for growth, bringing new talent and innovation together to unlock these resources in a sustainable way, and deliver value to our shareholders and the communities in which we operate.
Our strategy has and will always be to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. As we work through this transitional period of bringing both organisations safely together, we know that some processes will take longer than others and for now we will be continuing to temporarily recruit roles for our West Musgrave project within the OZ Minerals recruiting platform.
Help us set up our newest, open pit mining project! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cElIgfUrOy0
West Musgrave will be one of the world’s largest, lowest cost, lowest emissions copper-nickel projects.
You could be part of the team that helps to deliver this exciting mine, set within the Australian landscape. And we welcome anyone who’s seeking to make a real difference.
Our West Musgrave nickel-copper project is located on Ngaanyatjarra country, in the Musgrave Province of Central Western Australia, and includes the Nebo and Babel nickel-copper deposits and the Succoth copper deposit.
West Musgrave, which has a 26-year mine life, will be an owner-operator mining operation and in addition to being powered by ~80 per cent renewable energy, the Project scope includes a pathway to net zero Scope 1 emissions by 2038.
The Project will feature an Autonomous Haulage System and remote operations from day one and our workforce will be a flexible, technology enabled team supported by remote operations to improve safety outcomes and maximise opportunities for flexible working and diverse participation.
Reporting to the Manager – Health & Safety, you will support the Project capability required to deliver the West Musgrave project through the Construction phases in support of OZ Minerals' growth strategy. Your primary function is to develop, promote and report on Emergency Response capabilities and contribute to safety initiatives through a team-based approach.
You will work closely with the site services and emergency services teams to deliver quality health & safety guidance and advice to the workforce.
You will play a key role in developing and strengthening a culture based on the How We Work Together (HWWT) principles and the West Musgrave We Care approach. We Care is a multilayered program through showing We Care at an individual (I), team (we) and community level (us), we aspire for OZ Minerals to earn a reputation as a place where people thrive. You will also communicate across the whole projects group, with local communities and Traditional Owners, supporting a transparent and proactive engagement strategy.
Leaving hierarchy at the door, you will build relationships with internal and external stakeholders and have a relentless focus on collaboration.
Identifying threats and opportunities is second nature. You thrive on innovation and seek out new ideas from your team and others to create value.
About the Role
Location: West Musgrave Site
Roster: 2 weeks on, 1 week off
Reporting to: Manager Emergency Services and Security
Contract Type: Fixed Term until January 2025
Pay & Benefits: We offer competitive Australian mining industry pay and benefits. We can talk about specifics later
The Superintendent - Health & Safety role will focus on ensuring the West Musgrave Project is safely delivered on time and on budget. Specifically, this includes:
- Lead a high performing multi-disciplinary team to enable leading practice health and safety management performance.
- Oversee fatality prevention programs and health and safety strategy.
- Oversee compliance to relevant Performance and Process Standards.
- Oversee the implementation and management of the Mine Safety Management System and supporting processes and tools for incident management (including investigations, reporting and action follow-up; investigation training).
- Oversee the maintenance and improvement of the site Mine Safety Management System.
- Lead relationship with key Stakeholders (including regulators and contract partners).
- Use of agile concepts for work planning, reporting and communication.
- Cost management of the function.
- Provide specialist SME advice and guidance to the site project delivery and operational readiness teams to improve health and safety performance.
- Lead health and safety innovation to provide leading practice performance.
- Lead accurate, professional, and timely delivery of internal and external health and safety reporting.
- Implement and oversee appropriate site critical risk and control verification system and processes.
This role requires a self-motivated, hands on and values-based individual with a desire to deliver best practice outcomes with skills, experience, and personal attributes including:
- Relevant tertiary education
- Extensive experience working in Health & Safety
- Experience with operating on a remote FIFO site
- Strong understanding of Western Australian Work Health and Safety legislation
- Ability to lead a team in response to all emergencies.
- Understanding of AIIMS-ICS and site safety management systems.
- Can quickly identify threats or opportunities and develop strategies to mitigate or capitalise on these.
- Ability to impact and install a genuine We Care culture in the safety space.
- Strong organisational and time management skills with ability to multi-task, prioritise responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- A team player, supportive of team, peers, and partners.
- Ability to influence and mentor at all levels and develop partnering relationships.
If the above excites you, and even makes you a little nervous, then we want you to apply! It’s an exciting and transformative time for us and we need creative, collaborative and great people like you.
We are an equal opportunity employer who supports diversity within our workforce. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply.
Applications close 2 June 2023.
Shortlisting will commence immediately, apply now!
An exciting opportunity for a Superintendent Health & Safety to join a team using renewables and technology to deliver a world class mine. Be part of a unique culture where you are supported to be the best you can be, both at work and in your personal life.
Is having a job with Purpose important to you? A role where you consistently deliver exceptional results and 'Go Beyond What's Possible, To Make Lives Better?'
At West Musgrave, we focus on both WHAT and HOW you deliver exceptional results. The OZWay and our HWWT Principles and Behaviours are what guide us. Genuine care for our people is supported by Work Life Plans and our We Care Safety program. With Development Plans a key enabler to ensuring you will always be learning and growing, we are committed to supporting our workforce to be the best they can be.