Senior Metallurgist - Plant
Job Type: Full time
Join Australia's most exciting new underground mining project. Carrapateena will be a large scale world class mine built and operated by world class people. We are building a modern mine site in South Australia and getting operationally ready for seamless commissioning. This role is now available and we need your help.
At OZ Minerals Carrapateena, we value your ideas and encourage you to champion innovation and collaboration. We are a mid-tier mining company so you will not get lost in the crowd or tangled in bureaucracy. Rather, we unlock your value and offer opportunities that supercharge your career.
OZ Minerals is now proudly part of BHP, with the acquisition strengthening BHP's portfolio in copper and nickel, helping to meet the worlds increasing demand for the critical minerals needed for electric vehicles, wind turbines and solar panels, to supporting the energy transition to a cleaner and more sustainable future.
Carrapateena is a large-scale, world class modern mine operated by world class people. This exciting role is now available, and we want the very best of the best on deck to lead the team and collectively deliver exceptional results.
At Carrapateena, we believe our greatest asset is our people and we are working hard to provide a wonderful mix of age, cultural and geographical backgrounds to further enrich our inclusive workplace culture. We truly value your ideas and encourage you to champion innovation and collaboration, we are here to unlock your value and offer opportunities that supercharge your career to go beyond what is possible.
Location: Carrapateena, South Australia (60-minute flight from Adelaide / 30-minute flight from Port Augusta)
Roster: 8 days on; 6 days off, 4 days on; 3 days off
Reporting to: Superintendent – Metallurgy
Employment Type: Fixed-Term (2 Years)
How You Will Create Impact
Reporting to the Metallurgy Superintendent, the Senior Plant Metallurgist is accountable for supporting the operations team to safely achieve production targets for the process plant while having a strong improvement focus.
- Fostering and developing the safety and technical performance of the plant metallurgical team, including graduate metallurgists, as they provide high quality and clear support to the operational teams.
- Working with external suppliers to ensure delivery of fit for purpose processing consumables, analytical services including coordinating metallurgical test work and plant trials.
- Working with external equipment manufacturers to improve and modify plant equipment and the management of equipment trials and optimisation.
- Identifying and implementing short-medium term projects that immediately affect process plant production rate, metal recovery and overall efficiencies.
- Responsibility for SAG and ball mill liner wear forecasting and setting reline scopes for execution. Collaborating with liner supplier and internal stakeholders the liner improvements and developments to support future production needs.
- Maintaining high quality production reporting systems including conducting metal monthly accounting reports.
- Developing monthly short term production forecasting, and managing that concentrate is developed within the forecast specifications.
- Closely working with the geology and mine planning team to support reconciliation and forecasting requirements.
What We Value
- Tertiary qualifications in Metallurgy, Chemical Engineering or related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in base metal concentrator operations at either a project or plant metallurgist level. Previous senior or specialist level experience is desirable.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety improvements within minerals processing plant or laboratory environments.
- Demonstrated ability for troubleshooting and optimisation of SAG milling and sulphide flotation circuits is desirable.
- Experience in managing metal accounting and production planning systems.
- Effective communication skills, with ability to adapt communication styles depending on audience levels (e.g. technical reporting, operational direction).
- Ability to develop, conduct and interpret metallurgical test work, plant surveys and plant trials, particularly in flotation.
- Ability to deliver improvement projects, contributing to the team’s culture of continuous improvement.
Unlock your potential and help us challenge the status quo, while doing the best work of your life. We want creative and passionate people on our team, who can go beyond what's possible to make lives better.
What we do is centered around creating shared value for our stakeholders. And how we do things is what makes us unique. We know everyone's best work takes different shapes and forms, and we are committed to empowering and harnessing this difference. For us, development is continuous, learning is holistic!
We are an inclusive workplace and encourage applications from indigenous people and women. Once you have joined us, we are different than we were before, and better because of what you bring. If you think you can make a difference, please apply below.
Applications close in two weeks.