Trainee Locomotive Driver
Job Type: Full time
- Comprehensive Traineeship with a nationally recognised qualification in Train Driving
- Take the first step into a rail career and earn while you learn and build your skills
- Excellent chance to secure a very sought-after position!
Pacific National is committed to diversity in our workforce and encourages women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.
Our team in Esperance are recruiting Trainee Locomotive Drivers (Driver in Training - Stage 1) to join their train crew. These newly created positions represent a rewarding opportunity within an expanding business to earn great pay, while learning new skills and building your career.
Commencing as a Trainee, you will undertake an accelerated traineeship program. This program includes a three-stage progression approach and builds on theoretical and practical knowledge achieved within an operational rail environment.
The traineeship will enable the participants to qualify as a Qualified Driver within Pacific National, and upon successful completion of the program, receive - Certificate IV in Train Driving issued by Pacific National Registered Training Organisation (RTO). This is a nationally recognised qualification.
As a Trainee, you will be trained in all aspects of safe and efficient locomotive operations to develop the requisite driver skillset through competency-based assessments and on and off the job training.
You will be upskilled with knowledge to prepare, manage and operate locomotives and trains safely, and comply with established operational procedures in order to maintain our high level of customer service delivery for customers.
Pacific National is proud to be part of the Esperance community and we encourage locals to apply for this position. Please note applicants will need to live within a radius of 100km’s from our Esperance depot to be considered due to shift work and travel requirements.
No experience is necessary, although any prior exposure to working within a safety critical environment will be highly regarded.
We will provide full training for successful applicants who possess the following:
- A high regard for safety
- Customer focus with the ability to work effectively within a team
- Basic level of computer proficiency and excellent communication skills
- Passion for success and personal development
- Experience with shift work and flexibility to work a highly variable roster
- Ability to work away from home for varying periods.
- A current “C” class driver’s licence
- School Certificate or equivalent
Your availability and commitment to working rotating 24/7 shifts including nights and weekends is essential and will be vital for your success in the role. Additionally, some of the shifts will require you to stay overnight, away from your home depot location.
The recruitment process consists of a number of stages including virtual safety and psychometric assessments,
pre-employment checks; Rail Safety Medical assessment, National Police check and reference checks.
The training program will commence in late 2023.
We value diversity, inclusion, collaboration and the contribution of each of our employees. Working for us will enable you to take ownership of your career and gain access to the following benefits:
- Opportunities for growth and career development
- We are proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for women, for a list of all of our Benefits and Policies click here
- Access to mentoring programs
- Flexible working arrangements (subject to business needs)
- 6 weeks paid parental leave for primary carer at full pay following 12 months of service
- Novated leasing and discounts on selected health insurance funds, travel, gyms, retail brands, vehicles and more.
Pacific National (PN) is the largest provider of diversified rail freight services in Australia. We haul a variety of freight including coal, intermodal containers, steel, and a range of bulk commodities and materials that keep the region’s economy, businesses and households running. We operate nationally with approximately 3,500 staff in over 90+ sites across Australia.
We continue to provide a dynamic, innovative, growth-focused environment and we are a company that lives and breathes its values of: Make it simple, Share more, Kindness, Gratitude, Curiosity, and Own it. These values help us achieve strong connections with everyone we work with and play an important part in motivating us all to do our best work.
Join us as we continue to transform our business and shape the rail freight industry, to achieve our vision of becoming Australia’s recognised leader for safe, innovative and sustainable rail freight solutions.
Applications close on 28th May 2023
Are you ready to be part of our future?
To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button below and follow the prompts.
To find out more about Pacific National, our benefits and opportunities we offer, visit our careers page: www.pacificnational.com.au/careers
Home Safely Every Day - Our top priority is getting you home to your family safely every day.