HSE Advisor - Enfield Based
Location: North Sydney
Job Type: Full time
- Leading business with a mature HSE operating model to coach operational leaders to deliver continuous improvements in HSE
- Proven HSE Strategy, fully supported by Executive leaders
- Stable industry offering job security as an essential service
- Enfield based, permanent opportunity
- Positive and collaborative work culture
Pacific National is committed to diversity in our workforce and encourages women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.
Pacific National (PN) is the largest provider of diversified rail freight services in Australia. We haul a variety of freight including coal, intermodal containers, steel, and a range of bulk commodities and materials that keep the region’s economy, businesses and households running. We operate nationally with approximately 3,500 staff in over 90+ sites across Australia.
Join us as we continue to transform our business and shape the rail freight industry, to achieve our vision of becoming Australia’s recognised leader for safe, innovative and sustainable rail freight solutions.
We are seeking applicants who share our values: Make it simple, Share more, Kindness, Gratitude, Curiosity, and Own it. These values help us achieve strong connections with everyone we work with, and play an important part in motivating us all to do our best work.
About the role
Working as part of a broader, national HSE business partnering team, we are seeking a HSE Advisor – based in Enfield, to support our operational sites in Clyde and St Mary’s Freight Hub, including the Enfield maintenance facility. With accountability for HSE clearly sitting with operations, this role is focused on actively coaching, mentoring and supporting operational supervisors and managers in the implementation of Health Safety Environment (HSE) processes and systems to enable the effective management of risk issues which have health and safety impacts and legal obligations for Pacific National’s business units.
Key responsibilities and the main focus of the role is to build HSE team capacity and perform effective HSE internal stakeholder engagement activities, including:
- Facilitate risk management and building the capability of the workforce to identify hazards and perform risk reviews.
- Coach leadership in field and monitor and report on the effectiveness of critical controls implementation.
- Provide operational leaders with advice on the implementation of risk and management system performance standards and procedures.
- Lead business unit initiatives to support agreed Pacific National HSE strategic initiatives and business unit tactics for improving operational safety performance.
- Participation in audit and compliance assurance activities within the compliance framework, standard and procedures
- Interacting with the broader Pacific National HSE Team to implement the HSE strategy at a local operational site level
- Attend weekly meetings with operational management teams
- Facilitate allocated business unit investigations within the PN investigation framework, standard and procedures.
- Coach and mentor operational leaders to help them improve their own HSE performance and embed safety leadership practices for a proactive risk management safety culture
- Support the Head of HSE in engaging the business unit leadership team for the accreditation of the rail safety management system and effective closure of agreed actions.
- Deliver enterprise training to the workforce, appropriate to their roles, for ensuring the effective implementation and integration of the company enterprise management system and HSE applications.
To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have a proven track record of facilitating the delivery of effective HSE outcomes within a complex national organisation with multiple sites.
They will also possess the following skills, experience, and attributes:
- Tertiary qualifications in health & safety, engineering or equivalent
- knowledge of safety and environmental requirements ideally, in the rail haulage, logistics or mining industry, with experience in large complex organisations (rail experience is preferred but not essential).
- Demonstrable experience in delivering risk and risk control outcomes
- Ability to analyse current practices to create new strategies to minimise risk and eliminate safety hazards.
- Excellent stakeholder relationship management
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present technical findings to operational management teams.
- Demonstrable experience in building leader capability in HSE outcomes and in facilitating safety incident investigations.
- Experience in Dangerous Goods management and/or Major Hazardous Facilities is ideal.
Note, travel across the Enfield, Clyde and St Mary’s Freight Hub sites is required on a regular basis.
We value diversity, inclusion, collaboration and the contribution of each of our employees. Working for us will enable you to take ownership of your career and gain access to the following benefits:
- Opportunities for growth and career development
- Access to mentoring programs
- Flexible working opportunities
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for primary carer at full pay following 12 months of service
- Opportunity to purchase additional annual leave
- Provision of Salary Continuance Insurance
- Novated leasing and discounts on selected health insurance funds, travel, gyms, retail brands, vehicles and more.
Applications close on 30th September, 2023.
Are you ready to be part of our future?
To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button below and follow the prompts.
To find out more about Pacific National, our benefits and opportunities we offer, visit our careers page: www.pacificnational.com.au/careers
Home Safely Every Day – Pacific National’s top priority is getting you home to your family safely every day.