Sr Big Data Engineer
Palo Alto Networks Australia
Job Type: Full time
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We’re changing the nature of work. Palo Alto Networks is evolving to meet the needs of our employees now and in the future through FLEXWORK, our approach to how we work. From benefits to learning, location to leadership, we’ve rethought and recreated every aspect of the employee experience at Palo Alto Networks. And because it FLEXes around each individual employee based on their individual choices, employees are empowered to push boundaries and help us all evolve, together.
Prisma Access™ (formally GlobalProtect Cloud Service) provides protection straight from the cloud to make access to the cloud secure. It combines the connectivity and security you need - and delivers it everywhere you need it. Using cutting-edge public and private cloud technologies extending the next-generation security protection to all cloud services, customers on-premise remote networks and mobile users.
We’re building a world-class data analytics platform for Prisma Access. Our software stack spans multiple platforms and technologies. If you have a proven data engineering background and a broad software development skill set, and enjoy working on products with a diverse tech-stack, then this position could be the perfect fit.
- Create and maintain optimal big data pipeline architecture
- Identify, design, and implement data processing improvements - optimising data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Rapidly prototype ideas in an agile team with quickly evolving requirements
- Maintain high quality standards and promote best practices within the team
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and/or other cloud-provider (e.g. AWS, GCP) technologies
- Build analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimising our product into an innovative industry leader
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
- We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineering role, who should also have experience using the following software/tools
- Experience with relevant big data tools (e.g. Beam, Spark, Kafka, etc)
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, e.g. MySQL, Postgres and MongoDB, etc.
- Experience with various, related AWS and GCP cloud services - EMR, RDS, Redshift, Pub/Sub, BigQuery, Iceberg, Athena, Kinesis, DataFlow, GKE & EKS
Additional experience and skills -
- 4 year Computer Science Bachelor's degree (or equivalent or equivalent military experience)
- Strong Java software-development expertise
- An excellent working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience building and optimising ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- A conceptual thinker who can articulate and execute a vision from concept to production
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores
- Strong understanding of cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GCP) products, services, technologies and architectural best practices
- Strong understanding of tooling to automate, deploy and maintain data pipelines
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Candidates with experience in multiple programming languages and other platforms will be highly regarded
Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. We are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. Our engineers don’t shy away from building products to solve problems no one has pursued before.
We define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.