Principal Finance Officer - Budget and Performance Reporting
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Location: Brisbane City
Job Type: Full time
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
One QFES. Many Services, Many Capabilities, Many Partners
AO7Salary: $118,198.00 - $126,567.00per annum
Strategy & Corporate Services
Region/Directorate:FIN PROC LEVY
Location:Makerston House, Brisbane City
Closing Date:Midnight, Sunday, 26 March 2023
Current QFES employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
The Budget and Performance Reporting unit provides strategic budget and financial management accounting services to QFES. This includes the development of operating and capital budgets in collaboration with QFES business units, budget and performance reporting, analysis and forecasting services, budget maintenance, costing and investment analysis and assistance with funding submissions, as well as Treasury (budget) reporting activities including budget paper preparation.
Reporting to the Executive Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team in the delivery of contemporary budget and financial management services to QFES. You will be required to provide high quality advice and support to senior executive on financial management issues and impacts and QFES staff to meet their financial management obligations, strategic objectives, and legislative requirements. You will also be required to contribute to the development, implementation and review of best practice strategies, policy, systems and processes to enhance services and meet organisational requirements.
Highly desirable requirements
- Experience in financial management and/or possession of tertiary and post graduate qualifications in accounting or related disciplines.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Providing strategic and operational financial management services, ensuring financial information integrity is maintained and complies with financial legislation, standards, policies and practices.
- Manage the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets, forward estimates, and analysis, reporting and forecasting of departmental financial performance and position, internally and externally.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of business improvement initiatives to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of financial management and reporting.
- Research and prepare quality reports, submissions and briefings on financial management issues and impacts, including appropriate response in accordance with departmental requirements.
- Represent QFES at meetings and participate in projects and working groups to ensure outcomes are delivered within agreed timeframes and meet business and client’s needs.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure services, solutions and governance is maintained.
- Create a work environment encouraging positive teamwork whilst empowering individuals to strive for continuous improvement, seek challenges and achieve results.
- Assist in the ongoing development of staff through team leadership and performance management, and planning and review processes.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Team Leader (leading others)
- Leads strategically
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Leads change in complex environments
- Makes insightful decisions
- Develops and mobilises talent
- Builds enduring relationships
- Inspires others
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Pursues continuous growth
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact Melissa Biddle, Executive Manager, Budget & Performance Reporting on phone 0457 295 001 or email Melissa.Biddle@qfes.qld.gov.au.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.