Senior HR Policy Officer - Strategy and Services
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Job Type: Contract/temp
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
One QFES. Many Services, Many Capabilities, Many Partners
Temporary Flexible Full-time
Tenure Period:ASAP until 22 December 2023
Possibility of Extension:Yes
$4,062.10 - $4,337.70 per fortnight
Strategy & Corporate Services
Midnight, Sunday, 4 June 2023
Current QFES employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
The Strategy and Services branch provides well-considered strategic and whole-of-department policies, programs and initiatives to grow and enhance the human capital of QFES. The branch comprises Human Resource (HR) Services; Talent Acquisition; Workforce Development; Workforce Experience and Workforce Strategy and Analytics that support and improve the end-to-end employee experience.
Reporting to the Lead Project Officer, you will be a key member of a small project team responsible for the review and implementation of QFES HR policy and procedure changes arising from the Public Sector Act 2022 (Act). You will be responsible for providing strategic policy advice, conducting research and analysis on impact and changes to HR documentation, and identify, draft and implement policy and procedures to ensure compliance with new legislative requirements.
Highly desirable requirements
- Knowledge, experience or qualifications in drafting, implementing and reviewing human resources policies and procedures.
- Ability to interpret relevant legislation and industrial instruments.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Analyse policies, procedures and other documents to identify discrepancies and support the development of innovative policy, procedures and solutions to meet compliance and quality business outcomes.
- Assist with the planning, review, development and implementation of human resources policies, procedures and other documents in relation to changes to the Act.
- Provide advice and support to senior management in relation to issues affecting human resource policy and procedural requirements and prepare recommendations for improvement to ensure QFES meets its legislative obligations.
- Assist with the preparations and review of reports, correspondence and briefings relating to changes to the Act, issues and impacts, in accordance with departmental requirements and governance.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders to support the review of documentation and ensure quality outcomes and project deliverables are achieved.
- Assist with the development and implementation of training and education programs for managers to enable them to meet their ongoing responsibilities for effective and proactive people management.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Leads change in complex environments
- Makes insightful decisions
- Builds enduring relationships
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values of:
Want more information?
Please contact Michelle Swindells, A/Project Lead, Public Sector Act 2022 Implementation Team on phone 07 3635 3145 or email Michelle.firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.