Principal Cabinet Liaison Officer - Ministerial and Cabinet Legislation Liaison Officer
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Job Type: Contract/temp
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Temporary Flexible Full-time
Tenure Period:ASAP - 31/08/2024
Possibility of Extension:Yes
$4,530.50 - $4,851.30 per fortnight
Stategy and Corporate Services
Ministerial & CLLO Servs
Midnight, Tuesday, 26 September 2023
Current QFES employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
Ministerial and Cabinet Legislation Liaison Office (CLLO) is responsible for senior liaison and support to the Office of the Minister for Police and Corrective Services and Minister for Fire and Emergency Services and the Commissioner, QFES through the provision of ministerial, executive and corporate communications services. The unit contains the senior liaison functions of QFES, including the Cabinet Legislation and Liaison Officer; Departmental Liaison Officer and Ministerial Liaison Officer; and provides a high standard of correspondence and government briefing documentation for all Cabinet, Cabinet Committee and Executive Council matters in a timely manner.
Reporting to the Cabinet Legislation and Liaison Officer, you will be a key member of the team providing high-level advice, coordination and specialist executive support services for all Cabinet, Cabinet Committee and Executive Council meetings and matters, including some Parliamentary business. You will assist with the coordination and preparation of material for governing from the regions and meeting timely requests for information to ensure accurate documentation is effectively prepared to meet government and communities enquiries on behalf of the department.
Highly desirable requirements
- Understanding of Cabinet, Parliamentary, Executive Council and machinery of government processes will be highly regarded.
- Demonstrated experience in a highly pressured environment with tight deadlines and working collaboratively to support key tasks across teams.
- Well-developed written communication and high level of accuracy and exceptional attention to detail.
- Participate in rotational on-call roster to meet departmental Cabinet preparation responsibilities.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Support the CLLO to ensure the effective coordination of relevant Cabinet, Community Cabinet and Regional Community Forums, Executive Council, legislative and parliamentary documentation and liaison services to the Minister, Commissioner, Ministerial advisors and senior management.
- Review, research, analysis and coordination of Cabinet, Legislative, Parliamentary and Executive Council information and business, and ensure high-level accuracy and attention to detail on all briefing material is delivered within required timeframes.
- Liaise with a range of internal and external stakeholders including the Cabinet Secretariat Office, other CLLO offices, Executive Council Office and Parliamentary Counsel on the content and status of QFES related submissions, briefing notes, bills and minutes.
- Undertake research and provide project support for critical tasks such as progressing Executive Council Minutes, Budget preparations and legislation change management program/s.
- Provide high quality advice to the Minister, Commissioner and senior management on strategic policy proposals impacting on, or likely to impact on the department.
- Identify, develop, recommend and implement systems, policies and business processes that reflect best practice, are responsive to client needs and support the achievement of strategic business and operational objectives.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of Cabinet and Parliamentary protocols including the Queensland Cabinet Handbook, legislative processes and whole-of-Government and departmental policies to ensure compliance.
- Manage, develop and coach team members to build capability to deliver expert advice and services in relation to Cabinet business, submissions and other documentation, and ensure efficient and comprehensive records are maintained in accordance with departmental requirements.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Leads strategically
- Makes insightful decisions
- Builds enduring relationships
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values of:
Want more information?
Please contact Chris Plata, A/Executive Manager on phone 07 3635 2570 or email CHRISTOPHER.PLATA@QFES.QLD.GOV.AU.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.