Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Job Type: Contract/temp
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Temporary Flexible Full-time
Tenure Period:8 months
Possibility of Extension:Yes
$3,079.90 - $3,377.20 per fortnight
Strategy & Corporate Services
Media Communications & Online
Midnight, Tuesday, 3 October 2023
Current QFES employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
The QFES Media unit delivers proactive and reactive media and social media management to ensure the community receives timely and accurate public safety information 24/7, 365 days a year. In addition, the team provides support to the Minister’s office, counsel on issues and reputation management, and develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders (including the media) on behalf of the department.
Reporting to the Media Supervisor, you will be a key member of the team responsible for delivering the media team’s core media and social media services, including liaising with external media organisations, issuing critical public information, promoting key QFES safety campaigns and delivering media training to meet organisation requirements.
Highly desirable requirements
- Minimum C Class Driver’s Licence (non-restricted).
- Qualifications, and at least three years’ experience, in communications, public relations or journalism within a reactive and fast-paced environment.
- Participate in the media team’s 24 hour, 7 days a week on-call media roster.
- Be deployed at short notice, as part of media’s response to QFES operations during major incidents, emergencies and disasters.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Assist in the preparation of a range of written material for external publication, including media releases, key messages, speeches and articles to support operations and capability.
- Respond to frequent media and social media enquiries and liaise with the media and its representatives to provide accurate and timely information.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of media and social media campaigns to promote QFES’ key public safety messages.
- Assist in the delivery of media training to operational staff and volunteers to enhance QFES’ public information capability.
- Monitor, moderate and generate engaging content for QFES’ social media platforms.
- Provide media and social media services during major incidents, emergencies and disasters, from the scene or at disaster coordination centres to inform communities to prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
- Liaise and maintain effective working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to identify opportunities for media and social promation.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Makes insightful decisions
- Builds enduring relationships
- Inspires others
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Pursues continuous growth
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values of:
Want more information?
Please contact Mackenzie Coonan, Senior Media Officer on phone 0429 651 198 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.