Lead Closure Studies
Job Type: Full time
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce commodities including bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, copper, lead, manganese, nickel, silver and zinc from our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
The Opportunity – Permanent, Full Time Position
This newly created position to join the Rehabilitation and Closure Planning team where you as the Lead Closure Studies will be responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists in the development of concept and pre-feasibility level closure studies for certain of our operations approaching closure. The Closure Planning team is accountable for progressing the closure studies through the concept and pre-feasibility phase in support of final closure execution.
Reporting to the Manager Rehabilitation & Closure Planning, key role accountabilities include:
- Work autonomously; resourcing and developing the closure studies to a sufficient level to be able to tollgate from Concept Phase to Pre-feasibility Phase and Feasibility phase
- Develop the supporting studies to allow for the required detail (soil, water, vegetation etc)
- Contribute to the business planning process by providing strategic input into life of operations planning that can influence closure
- Ensure compliance with reporting and governance requirements for Concept and Pre-Feasibility phase studies
- Ensure study objectives are achieved in line with approved Study Work Plans, Phase Deliverables Agreements, and business requirements
- Manage performance, progress, and budgets of the programme of work
- Maintain strong and transparent relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Lead and or participate in discussions with community stakeholders relating to closure planning criteria
- Lead engagement with regulators to establish closure planning criteria specific to that state or territory
You will be required to have the following:
- Minimum 10years’ experience in a closure planning and studies
- Leading studies from concept to prefeasibility across mining or heavy industry (closure studies preferred)
- Broad exposure to complex operating environments as well as functional roles
- Experience in working with diverse stakeholder groups and specifically dealing with communities and regulatory bodies.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating teamwork and promoting collaboration across organisations
- Experience in the development and delivery of discipline engineering and project deliverables
- Project Planning, Project Controls and or Project Management experience in major project/ program development and execution in mining or heavy industry
- Advanced computer literacy and business software skills
- Proficiency in English
- Degree qualified in Geoscience, Mining Engineering, Metallurgy or Environmental Science or related discipline
- Post-graduate Qualification in business or project management desired
- Competitive Salary
- Incentive bonus
- Work from Home Options
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
This role will be based in either Brisbane or Perth.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
If you're good at what you do, you can work anywhere. If you're the best at what you do, come work at South 32!
Applications close 29th September 2022