Job Type: Full time
- Offering a 9-day fortngight working arrangement
- Work within supporting team
- Opportunity to work on a world-class refinery
The Opportunity – Geotechnical Engineer
Are you looking to be home every night? If so, this is your opportunity to live, work and play a short drive from stunning coastlines, scenic trails and the food and wine heartland of the west.
As a key member of South32 Worsley Alumina operations team and reporting to the Governance & Standards Superintendent, this role works with the support of two Senior Engineers, one civil and one geotechnical, and the
Responsible Tailings Facility Engineer (RTFE) to ensure the integrity of the Bauxite Residue Disposal Areas (BRDAs) and water storage dams during their construction, operation and closure. The Geotech Engineer should understand the BRDAs for which they are responsible, the risks, and the manner in which those risks are being managed, including any failures, deficiencies, or opportunities for improvement.
Located in the picturesque south-west and Peel regions of Western Australia, South32 Worsley Alumina is on a journey to become the world’s leading Alumina producer where our 1500 workforce value the lifestyle that Worsley Alumina has to offer.
Our integrated Bauxite Mine, Alumina Refinery and Port Operation is creating the essential products needed for a sustainable low carbon future.
This role is offered on a Permanent basis – 9 day fortnight working arrangement offered.
This role will be based at our Worsley Alumina Refinery which is a short drive from Collie (15 minutes), Bunbury (35 minutes) and other nearby scenic communities.
As there is no accommodation on site, you will be required to drive in, drive out on a daily basis. Employees ideally live within an hour’s drive of Collie.
Primary responsibilities are to:
- Support RTFE in managing day to day safety of bauxite residue storage areas;
- Support Risk Owner and be accountable for the integrity of the Bauxite Residue Storage Areas and dams.
- Be familiar with the content and requirements of the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management (GISTM), ANCOLD and other regulatory standards on tailings and water dams.
- Support RTFE for the management of the GISTM and other regulatory requirements for all Worsley Tailings Storage Facilities and dams.
- As a technical expert, have good experience with the design, construction, operation, and performance of tailings storage facilities and water dams.
- You will have experience in scoping studies, site investigations, laboratory investigations, and data interpretation, etc., budgets and risk management for tailings facilities.
- Degree qualified in Geotechnical Engineering, Geology, Mining or Civil Engineering
- Eligible to register as Chartered Professional engineer with Engineers Australia
- At least 5 years post graduate experience as a geotechnical engineer /geologist / civil engineer while managing tailings and water dams.
- Ability to communicate with and influence operational and engineering personnel.
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant Australian standards and acknowledged in depth expertise in core discipline area.
- Sound computer skills and familiarity with relevant software
As part of the Worsley Alumina team, you will enjoy:
- Competitive salaries including Short-Term Incentive Bonus
- Additional employer superannuation contributions which depend on the level of employee contributions you choose.
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Company supported volunteering leave and opportunities across communities in the South-West
- Novated lease and salary sacrifice options and flexible working arrangements
- Exclusive employee discounts including health insurance, technology and travel.
At Worsley Alumina, our people are key to unlocking the potential of our operation and becoming the world’s leading Alumina producer.
If you value and care for your colleagues and families, enjoy a culture of trust and togetherness and have a desire for excellence to safely produce the products of the future, then we would love to hear from you.
As an employee, you can help shape the future of our operation through our:
- Worsley Workforce Committee directly improving our employee experience
- Worsley Inclusion Network leading change initiatives across Worsley Alumina to increase Inclusion and Diversity in our workplace
- Reconciliation Action Plan Working Group working closely with our First Nations employees and community members to increase First Nations representation across Worsley Alumina.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not a requirement of employment at South32 Worsley Alumina.
Please note: This advertisement will close on the 24th March 2023