Job Type: Full time
- Fleixble working arrangements
- Diverse role with the opportunity to grow
- Positive team culture
The Opportunity – Environmental Specialist - Full-Time position
Reporting to the Water Principal, the purpose of this global role is to provide specialist support across the business in relation to the water and waste stewardship portfolios, ensuring South32 and associated global portfolio of operations and major projects are well positioned in relation to:
- managing environmental-related risks relevant to our operational footprints (mines and refineries).
- improving water and waste stewardship governance across the business, including water and waste accounting processes, circular economy and waste minimisation.
- identifying and supporting key environmental stewardship initiatives and projects within the catchments in which we operate, including supporting the development and execution of targets where appropriate.
This will be delivered through a combination of service, support, governance and collaboration (internally and externally).
Primary accountabilities include:
Provision of technical service/support across the global operations to enable strategic and material risks to be managed and high-value opportunities to be realised in relation to the water stewardship portfolio.
- Provision of input into the update of the Global Environment Standard and HSEC Reporting Standards to ensure that water and waste-related performance and accounting requirements remain fit for purpose in the context of South32 risk profile and broader industry trends.
- Maintenance of the water and waste knowledge portals on the Environment Hub, including development of global tools, templates and relevant reference materials that support the effective deployment of the Global Environment Standard and improved on-ground management and accounting of water and waste aspects.
- Support the deployment of the adopted Water Accounting Framework/s and waste generation register across the portfolio, working with site-based practitioners to ensure accuracy and drive continuous improvements in data handling and integrity.
- Provide input (where required) into Life of Operations Plans, Integration/Separation activities and Closure plans to ensure that current and emerging water-related material risks and/or stewardship opportunities are adequately considered, including advice on associated resourcing requirements.
- Support delivery of water stewardship activities to ensure group-wide performance is improved consistent with Business Planning, Sustainability Strategy, external industry commitments (eg: ICMM) and ESG requirements – including establishment of performance metrics where relevant.
- Participate in 2nd line stewardship program to identify and address material performance and accounting issues related to the water and waste stewardship portfolio, with a focus on adherence to the adopted Water Accounting Framework/s and relevant requirements within the Environment Standard.
- Provide input to support external disclosure requirements related to water and waste performance, stewardship and management.
Common (team) accountabilities include:
- Provision of input into budgeting and priority planning processes for the broader environment stewardship.
- Participation in team development and upskilling activities, supporting an inclusive and high performing team environment consistent with South32 values, LEADership Model and our Team Charter.
- QA/QC and provision of feedback on review of internal standards, policies/other internal documentation as required.
- Participation and contribution into global knowledge sharing networks, such as the quarterly environmental forum and technical function townhalls.
- Knowledge of water, waste and environmental stewardship and reporting aspects evidenced through related tertiary qualifications and practical on-ground experience.
- Experience in developing and deploying global programs and initiatives through strong leadership and collaboration.
- Systems and process experience, with in depth understanding of Microsoft-based (Excel) and data analytic tools (PowerBI) advantageous.
- Demonstrated ability to influence decisions and performance at both the operational and management level through effective written and verbal communication (including ppt pack development and delivery).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships (face-to-face and remote).
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing business needs and circumstances.
- Capable of working with minimal supervision and able to self-manage priorities, with focus on high quality outputs and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree (Science / Engineering / Similar)
- Competitive Salaries
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Free onsite fitness classes
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Incentive bonuses
- Additional employer superannuation contributions which depend on the level of employee contributions you choose.
This role will be based at our corporate office in the heart of Perth CBD.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Please note that this roles expires on the 27th March 2023