Superintendent - Dams & Governance
Job Type: Full time
- Flexible working arrangements and 9 day fortnight
- An exciting and challenging role
- Refinery based in the beautiful South-West of WA
The Opportunity - Superintendent Dams & Governance – 9-day fortnight working arrangement
Are you looking to be home every night? If so, this is your opportunity to live, work and play a short drive from stunning coastlines, scenic trails and the food and wine heartland of the southwest.
Reporting to the Manager Engineering, the Superintendent Dams and Governance is accountable for the holistic management of activities across all timeframes for the Bauxite Residue Disposal Areas (BDRAs) and water storage dams along with the Responsible Tailings Facility Enginbeer (RTFE), the Senior Geotechnical Engineer and Senior Civil Engineer during their design, construction, operation and closure.
The Superintendent Dams and Governance is also accountable for leading and governing the activities which ensure the integrity and adherence to Worsley Standards and Risk Management.
Located in the picturesque southwest and Peel regions of Western Australia, South32 Worsley Alumina is on a journey to become the world’s leading Alumina producer where our 1500 workforce value the lifestyle that Worsley Alumina has to offer. Our integrated Bauxite Mine, Alumina Refinery and Port Operation is creating the essential products needed for a sustainable low carbon future.
This role will be offered on a Permanent basis.
This role will be based at our Worsley Alumina Refinery, which is a short drive from Collie (15 minutes), Bunbury (35 minutes) and other nearby scenic communities.
As there is no accommodation on site, you will be required to drive in, drive out on a daily basis. Employees ideally live within an hour’s drive of Worsley.
Primary responsibilities are to:
- Full supervisory responsibility for the Governance & Standards team, including development, engagement, vision, performance and results of team members
- Provide direction and support to the RTFE and other Senior Engineers (Civil & Geotechnical) in managing day to day safety of bauxite residue storage areas
- Ensure the requirements of the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management (GISTM), ANCOLD, and other regulatory standards on tailings and water dams are meet
- Support RTFE for the management of the GISTM and other regulatory requirements for all Worsley Tailings Storage Facilities and dams.
- Provide leadership to the Engineers in charge of scoping studies, site investigations, laboratory investigations, and data interpretation, etc., budgets and risk management for tailings facilities.
- Accountable for the Risk Control Ownership of Bauxite Residue Disposal Areas (BRDAs), and Dams Material Risks
- Engineering design Change Management process ownership and governance
- Completes all engineering of blueprint related change (includes old to new or process changes)
- Owns, governs and mitigates tolerable plant and equipment operational risk and implements controls relating to statutory classified plant for the whole operation
- Relevant tertiary quaifications in Engineering (civil or geotechnical preferred)
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering or similar.
- Chartered Engineer status desirable but not essential
- At least 10 years post-graduate experience as a geotechnical engineer /geologist / civil engineer while managing tailings and water dams.
- Ability to communicate with and influence operational and engineering personnel.
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant Australian standards and acknowledged in depth expertise in core discipline area.
- Proven ability to work in a large team of technical professionals
As part of the Worsley Alumina team, you will enjoy:
- Nine-fortnight working arrangement
- Competitive salaries, including Short-Term Incentive Bonus
- Additional employer superannuation contributions depend on the level of employee contributions you choose.
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Industry-leading parental leave and family care policy
- Company-supported volunteering leave and opportunities across communities in the South-West
- Novated lease and salary sacrifice options and flexible working arrangements
- Exclusive employee discounts, including health insurance, technology and travel.
At Worsley Alumina, our people are key to unlocking the potential of our operation and becoming the world’s leading Alumina producer.
If you value and care for your colleagues and families, enjoy a culture of trust and togetherness and have a desire for excellence to safely produce the products of the future, then we would love to hear from you.
As an employee, you can help shape the future of our operation through our:
- Worsley Workforce Committee directly improving our employee experience
- Worsley Inclusion Network leading change initiatives across Worsley Alumina to increase Inclusion and Diversity in our workplace
- Reconciliation Action Plan Working Group working closely with our First Nations employees and community members to increase First Nations representation across Worsley Alumina.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not a requirement of employment at South32 Worsley Alumina.
Please note: This advertisement will close on the 31st March 2023