Principal Mining Technology
Job Type: Full time
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce commodities including bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead, zinc and copper from our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
The Opportunity - Permanent, Full Time Position
Reporting to the Practice Lead Mining Technology, we welcome applications for Principal Mining Technology to assist with our breakthrough guarantee that everyone goes home safe and well, while demonstrating our four values of care, trust, togetherness, and excellence and support an inclusive culture. This role has three core mining focus areas:
- Technology Development at Next Gen Mine Projects: To identify opportunities for innovation in mining extraction and the application of global technologies aimed to improve safety, productivity and/or returns for South32’s Next Gen Mine projects such as Hermosa.
- Piloting Technology Development at Brownfields Operations: To support brownfields operations with the identification, selection and development of Next Gen Mine programs with focus areas or themes aimed to improve safety, productivity and/or returns for advancing the skills and capability to execute South32’s Next Gen Mines.
- Support Digital Technology Design for Next Gen Mine Projects: To influence and integrate the mining extraction technologies with the design and implementation of the digital footprint of Next Gen Mine Projects, ensuring the alignment between modern technological solutions and existing technology platforms in the pursuit of delivering the vision of a “Digital Mine” using data and analytics to improve or automate decision making.
Additional, key role accountabilities include:
STRATEGY & PLANNING
- Prioritisation, implementation and monitoring progress of the Technology Development mining vision, plan and strategy, with focus on piloting and trailing the opportunities for innovation in Next Gen Mine projects.
- Support the development of project and delivery practices that enable piloting and prototyping in the context of major Next Gen Mine projects globally.
- Engage and foster close working relationships with key specialist stakeholders across South32 to understand the global business drivers and drivers of demand for innovation.
- Maintain a strong understanding of the global technology programs under their leadership impacting key project stakeholders and determine a position on key considerations for resulting Next Gen Mine mining extraction technologies.
INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY FOR NEXT GEN MINE PROJECTS
- Responsible for driving mining extraction technology innovation focused on piloting at Brownfields mines to de-risk the Next Gen Mine projects.
- Promote collaboration internally and externally for the benefit of South32 globally.
- Ensure insights and data gathered from implementation activities is captured and analysed in conjunction with research, market analysis, business planning, pilots and trials.
- Identify and build strong network globally, with motivated individuals, key vendors and global technology partners:
- on emerging mining extraction technologies that can materially improve the outcomes of safe and sustainable mining;
- to accelerate project development and improve project outcomes; and
- that bolster and support our internal capabilities in the implementation and development of novel technologies.
- Leverage South32 data platforms and applications that enable the effective use of mining data for decision making.
- 12 years plus experience in site-based operational roles (including mine planning)
- Mine management or leadership role experience
- Underground mining studies and program management experience
- Electrification and automation in underground mining experience
- Experience in:
- operational related roles in safety, mine design / production and planning;
- innovation program study experience including: automation, electrification, sensing, and robotics; and
- trial development or execution application of advanced mining technologies in mine operations.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), problem solving and collaboration skills
- Strong stakeholder engagement, coaching and influencing skills.
- Have a natural abundance of energy, resilience and genuine enthusiasm which inspires and invigorates people around you.
- Tertiary degree in a mining extraction discipline (B.Eng), Post-grad qualifications (favourable).
- First Class Mine Managers Certificate of Competency (or equivalent is desired).
This role will be based at our office in the heart of the Perth CBD. We understand and value the benefits flexibility brings and operate a hybrid work model (in the office and from home).
- Competitive salaries including Short-Term Incentive Bonus
- Additional employer superannuation contributions which depend on the level of employee contributions you choose
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- 26 weeks full paid parental leave for primary carers
- Purchase up to 4 weeks additional annual leave
- Education assistance, up to $8,000 per year
- Novated lease and salary sacrifice options
- Exclusive employee discounts including health insurance, technology, and travel.
- At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive and flexible workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
- We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
- We embrace diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Please note: This advertisement will close on 5th June 2023