Product Sustaining Engineer II
Job Type: Full time
Product Sustaining Engineer II
The Product Sustaining Engineer (PSE) is the subject matter expert that will drive the analysis and resolution of Hardware reliability, HW performance, HW obsolescence issues for the assigned LRU(s) (Line Replaceable Units). This position has full responsibility and accountability of the assigned LRUs from the end of development to end of life cycle, including but not limited to the LRUs’ performances, LRU cost of maintenance/repair and obsolescence Customer by Customer & World Wide averages.
The PSE is accountable for development, deployment, and management of the relevant solutions for component return to service across the Thales repair station networks. This role plays a crucial role in ensuring the deployment of the available solutions to customers, contract manufacturers, and repair stations.
In addition, the PSE will be responsible for providing technical support of assigned LRUs including performance and failure analysis, investigation of problematic LRUs, SRUs and solution development for all LRUs (production and in-service). The support shall also include support of production at contract manufacturer, product deployment, in-service operations, and development of repair methods and procedures.
Essential Functions / Key Areas of Responsibility
Issue Definition of assigned LRUs
- Ensures that KPIs for the portfolio of LRU/SRUs (MTBF, MTBUR, NFF rate, RMA rate, % of CID, Cost of Maintenance/repair, Bad from stock, Chronic) are maintained and tracked monthly.
- Ensures that all HW related issues are tracked and frequently updated into a central database (ex: Jira) and that lesson learnt are implemented in the FRACAS database
- Ensures that Component obsolesce warnings are circumvented
Issue Investigation of assigned LRUs
- Based on the analysis of repeated incidents, he/she categorizes and opens the associated problems, implements the means of identification of the root cause, then proposes solutions for their definitive elimination.
- Prioritizes and Triages Reported Systemic issues
- Owns and maintains an accurate list of all in-service issues and actions with detailed description and investigation status
- Responsible to analyze, investigate and mitigate LRU/SRU performance issues based on developed KPIs generically and customer by customer.
- Conducts and documents detailed failure analysis of electronic and electro-mechanical assemblies of Thales LRUs/SRUs and of third party LRUs.
- Supports product testing, training, troubleshooting, and repairs at contract manufacturer and repair stations.
- Supports and assist system/software level troubleshooting during product deployment and in-service operations.
Solution development for assigned LRUs
- Anticipates problems and prevents them by effectively planning, communicating, and implementing alternative solutions.
- Manages the implementation of engineering change orders according to the adequate validation process.
- Qualify replacement components through testing for components that have been deemed Obsolete or End of Life
- Initiate product design changes as required.
- Responsible to fix LRU/SRU performances issues for in service LRUs.
- Responsible for the in-service deployment strategy and effectiveness of LRU/SRU fixes (in or out of production).
- Responsible for the repair strategy of the LRUs and SRUs following company guidance (product and warranty strategies)
- Support the development of LRU test equipment, methods and procedures.
- Reports Status to stakeholders (CPM, Region)
- Ensures compliance to program office and support teams’ objectives and budget
- Provides visibility on accomplishments and progress on in service issues
Documentation for assigned LRUs
- Supports development of LRU repair technical documentations (CMM)
- Responsible for the LRU repair strategy / repair cost optimization and repair coverage leveraging available LRU FTA
- Accountable for LRU Inspection document development and update to ensure best compromise between repair time and LRU troubleshooting information availability
- Responsible for managing and documenting the evolution of LRU BOMs.
- Participates to the development of a monthly system reliability reports and presentations.
- Presents ideas effectively to internal personnel
- Can internally justify or explain the rationale for a process or technical change
- Optimizing repair cost of assigned LRUs
Minimum Requirements: Skills, Experience, Education, Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Certifications, Language
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, or related discipline,
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- Proven ability to comprehend functional operation, analyze problems using logical deduction and empirical evaluations and identify root cause and corrective actions.
- Have the ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team to drive solutions.
- Experience in initiating and completing product changes using a product life cycle management system.
- Ability to prepare detailed reports and presentations to communicate technical information to stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task and self-prioritize across a variety of contemporaneous tasks.
- Successful candidate will be expected to ramp-up quickly, take ownership of tasks, and operate effectively and autonomously across multiple entities, with only high-level technical direction.
- Proficient in the use of standard Lab test instrumentation (e.g. Oscilloscopes, Signal/Function Generators, Power Meters etc)
- Have experience driving RCCA, identifying/assessing risk and generating multi-discipline risk mitigation plans.
- Be proficient using a computer, Microsoft Office Suite and other office equipment.
- Have excellent interpersonal written and oral communication skills.
- Have Basic comprehension of statistical principles.
- Have the ability to work in a remote team environment.
- Strong work ethic and drive to succeed with a strong sense of accountability and integrity
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Knowledge of EMI/EMC mitigation practices, environmental robustness and DO-160 testing.
- Have working knowledge of CCA design layout principles and IPC Electronics standards.
- Have the ability to analyze HW system architecture with particular focus on integration concerns, product life cycle, EOL, obsolescence and sustainability.
Physical Environment/Demands :
Physical Effort :
- Light physical effort required by handling objects up to 20 pounds occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently. (Light)
- Normal office environment and air-conditioned electronic lab.
- Secondary work environments may include occasional access to aircraft hangars or warehouse facilities.
Special Position Requirements:
- Schedule: Core business hour Monday to Friday. Hybrid remote work with a minimum of 2 days in the office may be possible and need to be agreed with manager
- Physical Environment: required access to production area, R&D lab. Small weight might be carried up to 10lbs
- Travel: Required travel up to 10%
(The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required by management.)
Thales is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position will require successfully completing a post-offer background check. Qualified candidates with [a] criminal history will be considered and are not automatically disqualified, consistent with federal law, state law, and local ordinances.
Successful applicant must comply with federal contractor vaccine mandate requirements.
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law
If you need an accommodation or assistance in order to apply for a position with Thales, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.