Care and Custody Officer
Location: Kalgoorlie - Boulder
Job Type: Full time
Ventia Pty Ltd
About the role
As part of our on-going contract with the Department of Justice, we currently are recruiting for Care and Custody Officers to join our team in Kalgoorlie. These roles are offered on a permanent Full-Time basis (76 hours per fortnight), however, there are Regular Flexi-Time options available (minimum of 30 to maximum of 76 hours per fortnight).
Successful candidates will be provided with a fully paid comprehensive 5-weeks training period to ensure you are fully equipped with the skills and experience required to succeed in your new role.
Kalgoorlie candidates will also be provided with an annual regional allowance.
The training course will be held in Perth CBD and commences on 16 January 2023, Monday to Friday (you must be able to attend the training for the entire 5-weeks course duration).
On completion of this course (Ventia provide flights & accommodation if required) you will then return to your region to work on a roster basis covering 7 days, therefore a requirement to be flexible on this is required.
Your duties may include but are not limited to:
- Providing for the safety and security of Persons in Custody, staff, employees, and members of the public
- Pick up and escort People in Custody (PIC) from prisons and lockups and transport them to required locations which could include attending medical or hospital appointments, funerals, inter-prison transfers, court appointments and any other designated collection and delivery as instructed
- Transport Persons in Custody in vehicles and planes as required
- Operate metal detectors and x-ray screening machines to detect concealed weapons and hazardous objects
- Inspect identification badges to control employee bypass entrances and prevent unauthorised access to restricted areas
- Perform walking and mobile patrols of a designated area
- Discharge a duty of care whilst ensuring the safe and secure collection and delivery of Persons in Custody as instructed
To be successful in this role you must be comfortable working in an environment that has frequent daily contact with People in Custody as this role will see you working closely with them, including the use of restraining equipment when required.
Experience working within a similar environment will be highly regarded however, we also seek interest from applicants who do not have prior experience but have a solid understanding of the importance of security, personal safety, and spatial awareness, who can adapt to changing working scenarios and demonstrate resilience whilst working under pressure.
Successful candidates should have a flexible approach and possess excellent communication skills to be able to deal with people from a differing and diverse range of backgrounds therefore, your ability to build rapport easily and communicate effectively, using a non-judgmental and compassionate approach is critical and will contribute to your success in this role. Overall, your ability to remain calm in high pressure situations, demonstrate restraint and a positive mindset are the key skills we require.
As a result, we seek to employ people who possess the following skills and requirements:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A non-judgmental, empathetic approach to Persons in Custody
- High focus on safety and security awareness
- Ability to maintain a reasonable level of fitness to undertake the inherent requirements of the role
- Manual Driving Licence - Desirable (HR, MR licence or F Extension category highly desirable for operating vehicles carrying passengers)
- Willingness to travel (road and air)
Other mandatory conditions, to be eligible for this position:
The incumbent to this position must be:
- An Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen
- Have the ability to obtain and maintain an Australian Federal Police Check, Criminal History Check & Working with Children Check
- Be prepared to undergo a pre-employment medical including a drug & alcohol test
How to apply
If you enjoy a challenge and would like to be part of our dynamic, growing, and exciting company, then please click on the "Apply" button to complete your application.
We are keen to increase diversity across our business, so our workforce reflects the diverse communities in which we work. Our current focus is on employing more women at all levels of our organisation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are also encouraged to apply for this vacancy.
About the company
Ventia is one of Australasia’s largest dedicated infrastructure service providers, Ventia is a new and dynamic organisation with a rich history. Our clients are the owners and operators of major infrastructure that is critical to our communities. No one else does exactly what we do in the way we do it. Making infrastructure work for our communities is at the heart of who we are and it is what unites and excites us.
Job Reference Number: 149429