Senior Engineer - Emissions
Job Type: Full time
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. With a culture based on our values of Safety, Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Value and Excellence, our reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations continues to grow.
About The Role
Reporting to the General Manager – Technical Services, the Senior Engineer - Emissions is a newly created role working across our mining operations.
The Emissions Engineer is accountable for identifying and researching potential fugitive emission abatement and reduction technologies, as well as reviewing mining operations including sequence, equipment and schedules to understand emission reduction opportunities in and around all aspects of Whitehaven’s mines. Working closely with operations, contractors and suppliers, our Senior Engineer - Emissions main focus is toprovide advice to the business (with an initial focus on our Underground Mine) on what technologies and processes are available to assist in abatement measures.
This role can be based in either Newcastle, Brisbane or Gunnedah, however this role will require site visits and travel for 2-5 days at a time, as an essential part of the role. It may even require you to travel overseas from time to time.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate closely with operations, contractors, and suppliers to ensure the effective management of project deliverables
- Provide technical support to Whitehaven coal mining teams to enable and identify abatement opportunities
- Working in a team environment across multiple divisions on emission abatement activities in a cost-effective and operationally sustainable manner in order to reduce the companies safeguard mechanism exposure
- Cost/emission reduction activities / initiatives
- Contribute to the development of a positive and collaborative organisational culture
What You’ll Bring
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline (engineering or science)
- Previous experience in coal mining, underground coal (desirable)
- Experience in ventilation, gas management, gas drainage, and fugitive emissions modelling
- Experience gas processing such as flaring or power generation
- Process measurement and optimization skills
- Well-developed data interpretation and analysis skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Sound verbal and written communication skills
Why Whitehaven Coal?
- Career development, mentorship and coaching
- Flexible work options
- Newly renovated office with water views
- Australian owned industry leader
- Attractive remuneration package
- Employee referral scheme - $3000 for successful referrals!
To be considered for this position you must have the right to work in Australia.