Competition Manager - Capricornia
Job Type: Full time
The AFL is Australia’s premier sporting organisation supporting two constantly evolving national competitions, AFL and AFLW. Our purpose is to progress the game, so everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities.
We have a strong workforce presence in most States and Territories of Australia including Northern Territory, QLD, NSW / ACT, Victoria and Tasmania.
As the AFL/ AFLW competitions continue to grow and evolve at both the elite and community levels, we are focused on ensuring we attract and retain great people in both permanent and casual roles at all levels and within all areas of our industry.
Importantly, we aim to reflect the communities where our game is played by recruiting locally where possible to strengthen our connection to the ‘grassroots’ of our game. We are also fortunate to have hundreds of passionate volunteers within our industry, offering their time and expertise to help grow our game.
The AFL's purchase of Marvel Stadium in Docklands, Melbourne, further diversifies our workforce with more than 1000 casual employees to make every moment matter for our fans and customers.
As an organisation, the AFL works tirelessly in all states and at all levels to enhance and grow the game – from grassroots to elite. Together, we put on the game, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. While our roles may vary, we are all united by a common goal, to progress the game so that everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities.
The AFL is committed to promoting and protecting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in our care. Please note, we undertake several screening processes to ensure this commitment is upheld, this includes ensuring the successful candidate to this position holds a valid employee Working with Children/ Vulnerable People check and a satisfactory criminal history record check.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and firmly believe that diversity and inclusion is an important part of both the AFL and the communities in which we operate. Our game is for everyone, and we strive to be a workplace for everyone.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As key member of the AFL Queensland Community Football team, the Competition Manager – Capricornia is responsible for the management, administration, and delivery of the junior (Footy4Fun), youth and senior community football competitions in the Capricornia region. The role provides operational support, advice and education to all community football clubs and key stakeholders to support the development and growth / sustainability of football in Capricornia.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF
- Plan, coordinate and manage allocated competitions in accordance with the competition rules and procedures along with all relevant national policies and guidelines
- Manage fixtures, registrations and transfers, results, match day paperwork, issues & finals series
- Manage relationships with club presidents and other key club stakeholders
- Oversee relationships and stakeholder management with community clubs
- Provide support and direction to competitions with respect to structures, competitive balance mechanisms and club sustainability programs
- Ensure viable and sustainable community club networks through effective club governance and education programs, enhancing the overall quality of the community football environment
- Manage competitions within budgets provided and oversee all club invoicing and payments
- Coordinate the marketing and promotion of the competition, inclusive of maintaining the League’s social media platforms in consultation with Queensland media & comms team
- Plan, coordinate and deliver junior and senior awards events
- Contribute to key projects locally and nationally within and outside of core role
- Support and contribute to the success of the broader team
OUR IDEAL TEAM MEMBER
- Proven relationship and stakeholder engagement skills
- Ability to identify problems, navigate challenging situations and provide quality solutions.
- Demonstrated administration skills with a high level of attention to detail, planning & organisation
- Ability to understand rules and regulations and apply them accordingly
- Demonstrated ability to work with volunteers and club committees
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to adapt to change, remain effective and calm when faced with changing tasks, responsibilities, or people
- Ability to prioritise tasks and manage time effectively
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in Australian Football, experience in a community club setting is desirable
- Available to work Saturdays in season to attend matches and support club enquires
- Available to attend meetings outside of normal business hours
- Valid Blue Card and current driver’s licence
Please visit www.afl.com.au/careers/our-organisation
We are proudly a WORK180 endorsed employer for women, to see the great benefits that the AFL offers, please visit https://work180.com/en-au/for-women/employer/afl
- Play The Day Your Way – a flexible approach to your working life
- My Development – lean into the AFL’s My Development program consisting of on-the-job training, coaching and mentoring, and formal learning
- Play Well – access to our extensive Health and Wellbeing program centered around our belief in a healthy body, healthy mind, and healthy workplace
- My Benefits – with thanks to our AFL Corporate Partners, access great benefits and discounts
- AFL Silver Memberships – permanent team members can access AFL matches at Marvel Stadium and the MCG, enjoy and share the experience of our game with your family and friends!
We care deeply for our people at the AFL with our primary focus being to provide a safe and healthy workplace for all. We strongly encourage and support all AFL team members to be vaccinated (including by receiving booster doses as recommended by the Relevant Authority and/or ATAGI). In addition, we’re committed to utilising other preventative health and safety measures as appropriate and/or as directed by Relevant Authorities to reduce the risk of contracting and transmitting COVID-19 in our workplaces.
Applications Close: 31 January 2023