Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Training provided and supportive team environment
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office (remote work considered)
- Strong focus on both career and skills development
The Scientific Computing (SC) group within the Information Management & Technology (IMT) function provides end-to-end technology platforms ranging from corporate IT systems through to leading-edge high-performance data processing tools and platforms. The teams manage and support an edge to cloud computational and data fabric that includes several high-performance computing (HPC) clusters, multiple hyperscale public cloud tenancies, mass storage and high-performance tiered storage infrastructure with a national footprint. The group also provides hosting services for CSIRO’s corporate applications through provision of a highly versatile and robust virtualised platform, alongside support for organisational data management practices.
In joining the SC group, you will have the opportunity to work with this breadth of technology, and as a member of the team you will contribute to IMT’s forward strategy including bringing innovation to how our team provides technology services in support of the digital operations of CSIRO. The SC group also has a significant range of activities that provide support to CSIRO science teams in promoting best in class implementation, uptake and adoption of our platforms across the areas of advanced visualisation, data processing, modelling, code optimisation, application support and software delivery. The group is highly customer-focussed and operates closely in partnership with all areas of CSIRO research.
The Systems Configuration Management (SCM) team within the IMT SC group has multiple opportunities for developers and system administrators. In this role, you will collaborate with multiple internal teams to design, implement, integrate, administer, and maintain on-premise scalable computing platforms, with a primary focus on configuration management. You'll also have the opportunity to contribute to the management of our Enterprise virtualization fleet, DevOps processes/structures, and CI/CD pipelines.
Our team is built on a foundation of positive culture, open communication, and mutual respect. We value feedback and understand that it's a crucial tool for growth and development, so you'll always have the opportunity to give and receive feedback from your colleagues and managers.
Your duties will include:
- Development of configuration management systems (eg. Puppet, etc.).
- Systems programming, performance management and debugging on Linux and Windows systems.
- Produce and maintain systems documentation.
- Provide technical advice that is aligned with overall solution designs, architecture and frameworks.
- Contribute positively to stimulate and promote a team approach and develop sound working relationships with application users and business owners.
- Respond courteously and efficiently to client requests, maintaining clear communication regarding mutual expectations and monitoring client satisfaction.
Location: Australia Wide
Salary: AU$105,806k - AU$114,500k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Good understanding or experience of DevOps practices
- Good understanding or experience with configuration management systems (eg. Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.)
- Good understanding of revision control systems such as (git via BitBucket/GitHub/etc.)
- Systems programming experience - some combination of shell, python, ruby, perl, powershell, etc
- Strong troubleshooting and critical thinking skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong coding, scripting and DevOps skills
- Strong experience with Windows systems
- Familiarity with monitoring platforms such as Nagios, Zabbix, etc.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens Only
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the NV1 level.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Friday, 20 October 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
Shortlisting for this role may take place as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy once a suitable candidate has been appointed.
Please consider applying as soon as possible.