Health and Safety Advisor - Projects
Job Type: Contract/temp
EDL owns and operates a global portfolio of power stations in Australia, North America and Europe. Our vision is to be the leading global producer of sustainable distributed energy. At EDL, we are playing a key role in the world’s transition from traditional energy sources to decarbonised solutions.
The Health and Safety Advisor - Projects, provides support and expertise to EDL’s Project workforce, staff, contractors and other stakeholders to achieve our goal of a Zero Harm workplace. This is a hybrid work opportunity to be based out of Perth office with work from home options. This position requires regular travel to sites through Western Australia. This is a 2-year, fixed term contract.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Establish strong working relationships with project teams.
- Coach, influence and provide technical expertise to assist in developing Health and Safety capability within project teams.
- Support project teams in their accountability for HSE risk assessments, event classification and facilitation of investigations and compliance to HSE requirements through effective coaching.
- Conduct health and safety data analysis to identify emerging trends to assist in rolling out focused health and safety initiatives to improve safety compliance and outcomes.
- Ensure alignment of business activity with EDL while providing safety and training support services across multi-site projects.
- Demonstrate visible leadership, specialist knowledge, and coaching and mentoring managers to ensure HSE standards are met.
- Deliver safety inspections, audits, hazard hunts, safety observations and other compliance activities as required to provide assurance that safety systems and their related procedures are implemented across the organisation and support and verify timely close out of actions.
- Supporting hazard identification and risk assessment processes and drive the development of a risk-based systems assurance culture for operations.
- Promote the reporting of all incidents and assist in identification and implementation of remedial actions.
- Develop and maintain project HSE documentation.
- Develop and maintain effective consultation arrangements with responsible persons and cultivate close liaison with internal/external stakeholders and regulatory bodies to identify effective responses to assure the safe operation of the business.
- Develop, review, and deliver safety management systems and training and assessment materials to ensure they are current and of a consistently high standard.
- Facilitate/ participate in safety related meetings, operations meetings and monitor action items to ensure they are followed up and closed out.
- Development and collation of safety and training data for the compilation of monthly and other safety reports.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, an excellent communicator both oral and written with the ability to develop lasting relationships.
- Self-motivated and able to undertake routine and non-routine tasks with professionalism and minimal supervision, demonstratingeffective time management and organisational skills.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Proven team player and ability to respond to and deliver change and contribute to the continuous improvement culture in a complex multi-site organisation.
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail and ability to write effective reports.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience working in a multi-site, national operations in a safety/ training role (experience with high-risk activities in mining/resources or energy/utilities areas preferred).
- Minimum of Certificate IV in Occupational Safety and Health or Work Health and Safety (Diploma or higher level would be an asset).
- Certificate IV TAE 40110 Training and Assessment or equivalent, with training and assessing experience.
- Strong understanding of current HSE legislation, standards, codes and industry practices specifically PCBU and Principal Contractor requirements
- Current 1st Aid Certification and CPR certification preferred.
- Intermediate ability with MS Office – Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and delivering training and assessment.
- Experience with ICAM or similar incident investigation methodology
- Demonstrated experience in HSE compliance management and monitoring and qualified as a lead Auditor is preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of HSE processes, including Permit to Work, Lock Out Tag Out, Incident Investigation, Contractor Management, Emergency Response, Risk Management, and Training and Competency.
- Current and clean Drivers Licence essential.
EDL is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.